Do you ever wonder why some married couples don't plan on having children?

I mean it's their choice, of course. I guess I would assume that when people get married they eventually want children. Why do you think some couples don't want children?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 2:19 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• My sister in law didn't want to at first. She loved her carefree lifestyle and buying fancy things. She was not about to give that up and ruin her figure. By the time she changed her mind she was over 40 and couldn't get pregnant.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 2:22 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Maybe they just don't. I wish some moms would realize they are lousy moms and STOP having kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My sister had her first child at 35 and does not want any more. She said she loved her freedom to go and buy whatever she wanted. To me she still does all this and leaves the baby with her husband constantly while she goes on trips with her girlfriends at least once a month. So I personally don't see what she is bitching about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Some people just don't view children as a must in their lives. I've known a couple married couples that have chosen to do other things...like travel, pursue higher-end careers, etc...over having children. Most of them still love children (family, friends, etc) but don't really want that to be what THEY do in life. Also, about the marriage part, I don't view children being the only reason to marry someone you love...it should be about sharing common interests & wanting to pursue & enjoy those interests together for the rest of your life. In the case of children, if both of them felt other things should be more of a focus for them it would be a major common interests when thinking of marriage!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 3:08 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• If you wouldhave asked this question before I had my daughter I would have felt the same as you, thinking that it was just part of life. But now that i have a 4 year old that I lvoe dearly & wouldn't ever regret having her I can see why SOME people don't want them. Although they bring so much joy, they also bring stress & a big life change. I love how I use to be able to pick up & go. I haven't traveled since my daughter was born & I use to all the time. So different strokes for different folks! I am just glad that some people realize that they don't want children before they have them!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My friends that don't are all very career oriented.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:18 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My best friend decided not to have any children. That was after she got married to her third husband, who already has kids who live in Sweden and visit three times a year. Every time they visit, she calls me endlessly with questions on how to deal with them because apparently they're little hell-raisers who have never heard the word "consequences" before. Instead of having kids, she and her husband take massive expensive vacations and party all the time. More power to her, she knows what she wants and more importantly, what she doesn't want.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I have a few friends that decided not to have children and now that they are older realize what a mistake that was, they are alone and do no have anyone to keep their name alive. They opted not to, because they did not want the responsibility and enjoyed the freedom they had when they were young.
    I never understood how anyone would want to deprive themselves of such experience, the good and the bad but it balances out to be more good than bad.

Answer by older at 8:36 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• One of my best friends doesn't want any. She thinks that they can't be as active and can't do the things they love to do if they have kids. Then I tell her how we took the kids hiking, snowboarding, on vacation and she is in shock. I think people think that having kids stops your life. Our kids just melted into ours. We still do everything we love to do, still are very active and travel. We just do it as a family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Because some people don't feel children are the be all end all of their lives. I think it's good if someone recognizes they don't want children before they have actually have one. I feel it's safe to say we all love our children more than anything. But I also think it's true that children are a big stressor on a couple. Some can handle it some can't. They are a huge financial repsonsibility and that is only getting worse as time goes by. What I can't understand is how people have children just to carry on the name or because they think it will be fulfilling for them because they feel something is missing in themselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Apr. 9, 2010