question about catholic religion?

Im not writing this to bash the catholics im just curious and looking for real answers, Im not catholic iam christian and the church i go to, on one service night talked about how u shouldnt worship or pray to mary because she is not the one who can save u and there was more to it but to get to the point that was what it was about, but i've been looking it up and have seen that alot of people misunderstand the whole thing and that catholics arent worshiping or praying to mary but through her. Im just looking for a catholics oppion on this matter of praying to mary? Im just wondering? I found this websites that talks about it. one of them really got to me it is the first website down below but its long and in the middle it talks about mary(its a vision an 8yr old had)

http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/8_year_old_girl/English_Rapture_and_Tribulation.htm

http://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/maryprayer.ht

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Catholics are Christian too. Mary isn't worshipped she is honored. Yes Catholics also believe that God is the only one that can save you. Catholics have great respect for Mary because God had a very special purpose for her, she is the mother of our savior. Catholics believe we are all one body of Christ, both the living and the dead. We are all connected and can pray for and support each other. Deceased saints can and do pray for us, the saints still on earth. 

When we pray to Mary, we are asking Mary to pray for us, we never ask God to pray for us because that's who we are praying too.  In other words Prayers to Mary and God are not the same because there is only one God.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• The Hail Mary prayer says: Hail Mary full of grace, the Lord is with you, blessed are thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary mother of God pray for our sins now and at the hour of our death.

I want Mary to be praying for me now and at the hour of my death, just the same way I want my family here on earth to be praying for me. Who is Mary praying to, she is praying to the one and only God. I don't ask God to pray for me, because he's God.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I think you should better educate yourself about Catholics beliefs in Mary. I have a real problem with Church's who can't seem to preach to the congregation what their own beliefs are, and instead spend so much time telling everyone not to do what Catholics do. If you don't want to pray to Mary then don't, it really is a personal choice, and I choose too.

When I go to church any priest I have ever had, has not talked down about any other religion or faith at all. They read the Bible and talk about the stories from a Catholic point of view period.  If I found a Catholic Church that did, I would find another church within my faith.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:53 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• There is only ONE mediator, the Messiah Yahshua [ known as Christ]. No where in the bible did anyone pray TO saints, and Mary or THROUGH them either. Blessings...

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 10:14 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• There is a passage about intercessors. If someone else doesn't post the passage I will when I get back.
    gbaby01

Answer by gbaby01 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

Then don't if you don't want to.  However you are WRONG.  Philippians3:17 "Brethren, join in imitating me, and mark those who so live as you have an example to us." 

2 Thessalonians 3:7-9 "for you yourselves know how you ought to imitate us; we were not idle when we were with you, we did not eat anyone;s bread without paying, but with toil and labor we worked night and day, that we might not burden any of you.  It  was not because we have not that right, but to give you in our conduct an example to imitate"

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:47 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Hebrews12:1 "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us"

Catholics believe that the saints in heaven are aware of happenings on the earth. They are not isolated and removed from realities but intimately involved in them. We believe the cloud of witnesses are the saints in heaven. However you should do what ever you want. No one is telling you how pray. Blessings to you too.......

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• There are many biblical references however this is my one favorites: 2 Cor. 1:11 - Paul even suggests that the more prayers and the more people who pray, the merrier! Prayer is even more effective when united with other's prayers.

Eph. 6:18 - Paul commands the family of God to pray for each other

There is also a bible verse somewhere, I think in John that says we are one family from one tree and when we die the branches don't wither and die.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• None of those verses prove that you should pray To or through saints. They prayed to Yahweh through the name of his son. So what about this verse? 1 Timothy 2:5?
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Right, everything that Ryansmom said. We think about it in the same sense as asking a friend or family member to pray for us here on Earth. We aren't worshiping them, we know very well that they can't heal us or whatever it is that we are asking for, only God can, and that's the same thing we are doing when we pray to Mary or another Saint. There are examples of intercessors in the Bible, power in numbers. Good for you for looking into things on your own and not just taking somebody's opinion at face value. There are a lot of people out there who either misunderstand our views and practices on this or who simply ignore our explanations and twist what it's all about into something it's not on purpose, so it's always best to check things out for yourself (with all religions).
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 11:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2010