I have been swelling up really bad can this be serious?

I am a little over 34 weeks pregnant and I had a doctors appointment on Tuesday. When I went in there the scale said I weighed 220 and was very puffy. The day before I had weighed myself at home and the scale said I weighed 211. So I thought well than can't be right. I weighed myself again when I got home from the doctors and sure enough my scale at home said 220. How can I gain 9 lbs of water weight in less than a 24 hr time period? Is this something that I should be extremely concerned with? My legs look huge and puffed up and my skin feels really tight. Any ideas on how to get the water retention to go down? I have tried putting my legs up and resting a lot. But that hasn't seemed to help. I have been eating less salty food as well. If you have any answers on whether I should be really worried. Or any remedies to fix this problem I would greatly appreciate any advice! Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You need to contact the ER immediatly. It could be preeclampsia.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• the other person i right. go to the Labor and delivery now. I had severe pre eclamsia. it is a life threating diesease that affects both you and your baby. here is a clip from preeclamsia.org sighns and symptoms A certain amount of swelling during pregnancy is normal. Edema is the accumulation of excess fluid. It is particularly concerning when it accumulates in the face (eyes) or hands. It is normal to have trouble wearing rings throughout pregnancy.

What you can do...

Find a picture of yourself just before pregnancy. Share it with your provider if you feel your face is getting excessively puffy. If the swelling in your extremities becomes severe, you may notice pitting edema (when you press your thumb into your skin, an indentation remains for a few seconds) or discoloration of your legs. If this happens, notify your provider, put your feet up every day (but avoid sitting for extended periods) and drink water to keep
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 4:30 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• * yourself hydrayted.
    you asked this question on the 7th. it sounds like you have tried all the other suggestions such as putting your feet up. i hate to break it so bluntly but you need help immidiatly. 9 pounds of water retention is a huge red flag. im surprised that your doctor didnt order a 24 hr protien test. also lab work. how is your blood pressure? even the way they take it at your doctors office can affect the results, falsely lower it, making it appear like your ok. please before its too late get help!!!!!
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 4:36 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• oh yeah dont even bother calling your doctor. sounds like hes being a jackass that is paying attention to you and your symptoms. i listened to mine with the result being, my son and i almost died. dont make that mistake. it is the nost comenly misdiagnosed disease becuse most of the symptoms and sighns you and your doctor can brush off as * NORMAL* pregnancy symptoms. your swelling is not normal by any standards.
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 4:41 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I'm going to agree with both the other responses. I has pre eclampsia as well and gained 9 lbs in a week. If you have it, you need to be treated ASAP. The good news is it's treatable with not long term effects to you or the baby.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 7:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Call your doctor. It could be pre eclampsia.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:03 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I had the same issue. They even tested me for pre-clampsia which was negative. They told me to try to stay off my feet as much as possible and massages can help some. I think I flooded the hospital when my water broke because after I had my daughter the swelling went down so drastically and she was only 7lbs. Dont worry it will get better and seeing your beautiful baby will make it all worth while in the end. Good luck and just think...its almost over.
    pattimak

Answer by pattimak at 8:33 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• what did your doctor say? how was your blood pressure? surely he knew about these symptoms?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• When I got weighed at the doctors I figured that my scale at home had been wrong so I didn't mention the fact that all that weight gain was restricted to a 24 hr time period. I haven't talked to him since. He checked my urine to make sure that I wasn't dumping protein and he said it looked normal. So I am not sure what to do. The swelling has yet to subside. most of it is in my legs. My skin feel like it is stretched to the max and feels like it could just tear.
    addysmommytobe

Answer by addysmommytobe at 1:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• You need checked again. Now. Tell him everything.
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 1:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2010