Help with Eczema!!!

My daughter was diagnosed with Eczema at 12 months old. Its horrible. I cant give her baths ever. Every time I do she breaks out in a bad rash and scratches it until her back is bleeding. She rolls on the floor screaming like shes on fire its horrible. I tried using the prescription cream, but it doesnt really work. The aveeno baby works ok but it has to be applied non stop. I get the use of creams are needed, but what else can I do? Like with baths, maybe certain remedies? Anything will help please!!!

Coontzwoman

Asked by Coontzwoman at 3:19 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try baby oil after baths,i use oatmeal baths for my child.i mix baby oil with eucerin lotion.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:38 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• i agree with pp try oatmeal baths. i use aquaphor which is kinda like eucerin except eucerin is cream and aquaphor is like a thick vaseline. i like aquaphor better b/c it last longer than the eucerin in my opinion. my son has eczema too, the aquaphor works wonders for him!
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 9:48 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My daughter has had eczema since a few weeks old of age and she is 9 years old now. I had to try different prescriptions until we found a noticable improvement. To me it was worth seeing the doctor and trying new prescriptions until one worked. She is now on 2 kinds (one kind is a steroid so I use it very sparingly when it becomes bad) and the other I put on her as soon as she starts to itch. I define bad when she bleeds and has made scabs on her skin from itching. If I catch a flare up in time and am consistent then the eczema outbreak is much more in control and very minor than if I don't apply prescription cream. You might want to go back the the Derm and let him/her know it's not working.
    Angie22769

Answer by Angie22769 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Be careful about putting baby oil in the bathtub. Some of them have fragrance in them which is not going to help. I've read that pure coconut oil is good to use. My 5 month old has eczema, although it doesn't sound like it's quite as bad as your LO's. I tried EVERYTHING. Her pedi finally gave me a prescription for something called Derma-Smooth, and it's actually working. She also recommended using CeraVe lotion. I haven't tried that yet, because I wanted to see if the Derma-Smooth worked first. Stay away from any cream/lotion that has citric acid in it, that's going to aggravate it even more. You could try something called Triple Cream (they make the diaper rash cream called Triple Paste). That helped a little with my DD. Now that she's 12 mos., you might start looking into allergens in her diet, especially milk, that can cause eczema. I know how frustrating it is, hang in there.
    MagnoliaQueen

Answer by MagnoliaQueen at 10:49 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My son had a minor case of Eczema and he also couldn't use our regular detergent!. My sister recommended this wellness company and they have a lotion, body wash and hand wash known as Renew. I switched over and buy my stuff online bc their detergent has also hepled him out tremendously and I've read other testimonials with cases as bad as your daughters. You can buy directly from their factory without being a preferred customer....its got a 60day guarantee, so if it doesn't work you can simply return it. If you'de like to know the name of the company send me a message and i will be happy to pass it along...I hope it helps!
    maliq

Answer by maliq at 11:25 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• i have a lotion that i use for skin conditions that works really well you can all me for info or send me an email at actango123@aol.com my name is augusta
    augicot

Answer by augicot at 12:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My 3 year old has had eczema since she was 12 months old too and would break out more during the winter seasons. But last summer, she broke out to the point it bleeds. She even scratched at night. Her dermatologist told us to avoid using soap (including J&J baby wash) of any kind & try cetaphil wash or aveeno baby. She also gave us a bunch of Rx (steroid) creams that helped for a few days but it would get worse the next month & she would prescribe an even stronger cream. Also, to change laundry detergent that was dye and frangrance free. After the bath, apply generously her aveeno baby lotion and then apply Eucerin Aquaphor on her most "troubling" spots.
    AneesasMom

Answer by AneesasMom at 12:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• If that doesn't help, try taking a look at her diet. Although the Rx creams were helping, Aneesa's skin was getting thinner (side effect) with each use. So I switched her to a liquid vitamin juice & her face cleared up in days and stayed that way. Message me if know if want to talk about what I use and her dermatologist did approve of it. She's confident that she doesn't need to see Aneesa anymore.
    AneesasMom

Answer by AneesasMom at 12:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• LUSH cosmetics cleared my daughter's skin up! I was working there for a little while last year and bought some of the bath products for my daughter. It's an organic product line. At that point I had tried just about EVERYTHING. My daughter [3 yrs] had suffered from eczema since she was a newborn. After about 2 days of using LUSH bath products for her, it was ALL GONE. It was like a miracle. You can only imagine how much product I sold to other moms with my testimony LOL.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 1:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Thank you for all of your answers. I will try some new things. The thing with her doctor, im embarrassed to say, is that we are on medical and have to go to the clinic. We have to wait about average of 4 to 6 hours. Then once we get in there they are really fast and hardly talk to you. When I did get someone to talk to me, they just said you cant cure it and put lotion on it. Then they wrote me a prescription, when I went to fill it the pharmacy said it was the wrong kind and cannot make it. I would have to go wait another 4 to 6 hours to get it refilled. I hate it. They dont understand that I would pay whatever it takes to make my daughter more comfortable. I have this baby wash called California baby. Its awesome but she needs other methods and I cant really give her a bath anyways because she breaks out. THank you guys though, I will definantly try some of what you suggested!
    Coontzwoman

Answer by Coontzwoman at 1:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2010