Why do people think they get a choice on who treats them in a hospital?

In L and D you get the doctor on duty. If your doctor is there, GREAT, if not...they might be in later to check on you, they might not. If you don't like having novices work on you, you need to not go to a teaching hospital!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think it somewhat depends on the dr and the hospital. Some doctors will specifically come in during your labour and want to make sure they deliver for all their patients. At some hospitals you get the OB on call. In my particular situation, my doctor delivered all her patients day or night. I really appreciated that level of dedication, but it wouldn't have bothered me if they didn't do it that way. I would have totally understood my doctor's need for regular sleep and a life she could somewhat schedule.

It doesn't bother me to go to a teaching hospital. It's important for the people in training to learn. But, you can always let them know when you've had enough and you'd like to have them observe only.

I don't know why people complain about these things so much. You either need to accept that's the way it is, or find a dr who meets your needs better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:18 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• That's not necessarily true. My Dr was not the Dr on duty and he delivered my baby and checked in later. I didn't see any other Dr.s.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My doctors were not there for either of my delievers. My first doctor was horrible, she was paged about a thousand times and all she would say was that I wasnt far enough along for her to come in. But my second doctor was great loved him very much just that i had a 20 minute delievy including the time it took to get admitted the on call doctor didnt even make it up to the room in time so pretty much both my babies were delieveried by nurses they do soo much more then they are paid for
    ISLUVZOLIVIA

Answer by ISLUVZOLIVIA at 3:59 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• OP: Yes anon, but your doctor was called and he came in. But, chances are, if he had just gotten off shift he may not have come back. It isn't something that people should count on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:24 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• We were military when my son was born in 1985, at that time if you didn't have your baby in the army hospital, Champus (what is now Tri-Care) wouldn't cover it. Unless you were somewhere that a military hospital wasn't available.

The OB on shift when I actually delivered had never done one when he came on shift that night...mine was baby #4 in his career. We didn't know it at the time...glad we didn't, but we couldn't have changed anyway. I never saw the same dr twice during my entire pregnancy.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 4:36 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Not true, my Dr was not the one on duty and he is the ONLY Dr I saw. The only time I saw another one was the day after birth and it was another Dr from my Drs office. NEVER just a random Dr I did not know.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:47 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Yes the Dr. on duty is the one that admitted me...but my midwife was called through out the evening and when I got to 8 she rushed in....she lives close to the hospital for that purpose...and she doesn't only do this for me...she has delivered the majority of babies in my county for years....on sunday mornings at church or when I see her at the store shes always in scrubs in case she gets called in for a delivery
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 4:56 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Where I live that is true but it isn't true everywhere. I drive an hour away to go to a smaller town with a smaller hospital, and they will call your OB no matter their schedule. She lives nearby and her practice is literally next door for that reason. I could never get the type of care at our huge hospital that I get there though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:31 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Mine was the only doctor I saw and when I was assigned a less than professional nurse, I asked for someone else. The hospital staff understood my concern and immediately gave me a new nurse.
    onecuteladybug2

Answer by onecuteladybug2 at 6:06 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I had a doctor form my office because they ALWAYS have 1 doctor on call in the L&D. I kicked a bitchy nurse out of my room. I told her she needed to not come back in! So I Kinda did get to pick to some degree.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:16 AM on Apr. 9, 2010