Is cramping normal at 34 weeks?

I am 34 weeks and I have a lot of questions. Since early this morning I have been having a lot of cramping in my lower abdomen, almost like menstrual cramping. They are not strong cramps just enough to make it uncomfortable, along with her being in my rib cage. But I have been having very sporadic contractions for the last 3 weeks, nothing consistent. I am just wondering if the cramping is normal or if it is something that should concern me? I am a first time mommy and have SSSOOOOO many questions. I just found cafemom today and am so thankful that I did. Because now I am actually getting my questions answered. Thank you everyone!

addysmommytobe

Asked by addysmommytobe at 3:33 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You can call your OB and talk to the nurse. You could be having braxton hicks as your body gets ready, but a nurse or your OB is much more qualified to tell you than anyone here. Don't worry about calling them, some women call weekly during their entire pregnancy. I was so embarrassed when I called on a Sunday once and my doctor just laughed and told me it's part of his job.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 8:32 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Sounds like Braxton Hicks:) I had them throughout my entire pregnancy all 3 times so I'm a pro at those! hehe If the belly tightens up and you feel a bit of a squeeze, almost as though you have a full bladder too, they are inconsistent and not painful, then it's most likely BH. If they become regular, painful, etc. then call the OB. Drink lot's of water too...dehydration can cause BH or make them worse (I learned that the hard way).
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 9:13 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Yep, cramping is totally normal from 34 weeks on
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:26 AM on Apr. 9, 2010