Has anyone had experience with a family member needing drug rehab?

I have a family member who needs rehab for meth and heroin. I just want to know other peoples experiences with it and any advice for me. We don't have the money to pay for it, her insurance will cover it as long as it's in Arizona..but we want to get her far away from here because she just leaves detox after a day and if she were farther she would have a harder time leaving. Are free rehabs just as good as one that cost a ton?! Are there any outside of az with a sliding scale since she is unemployed at the moment? uhh so much work I don't know how to even start!! HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Health

• It's crazy how much it can cost. My mom cashed in her retirement to pay for my brother's rehab. He was in a treatment center in Idaho. My mom didn't know where to start either and when he had an overdose, one of the Dr.s at the hospital was knowledgeable about treatment centers and suggested this one. Maybe you could talk to her Dr. or yours and they might have some info for you. Sorry, I don't have much advice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• No matter how many times YOU put a family member in rehab it won't help untill they want the help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I agree w/ the PP. My mother was an addict, my father an alcoholic, and DH has been to rehab 2x. It doesn't matter how much you pay, where they go, or how many times they go there... the addict will NOT detox unless they WANT to detox. It's a very frustrating cycle that I know all too well. You have to decide what's more important to you... your mental health or theirs. It sounds nasty, but it's true. You will only spin yourself into more frustration and despair if you you try to help and she just won't bite. My advice is to gather as much info as you can, offer your help and support, and let her decide. You literally have to sit back and wait. Unless you TDO her, she doesn't have to do anything she doesn't want to do.

I'm very sorry that you (both) are going through this. It's a very hard thing to go through. I've dealt with it for 28 years. Good Luck.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 9:07 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

I agree..Rehab does not work and it just a waste of time and money
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 9:50 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My BIL ( husbands brother) and nephew ( who is my age, 22) .......both are badly into drugs... BIL has been to prison about 5 times for drug charges and to rehab maybe 20....he is still doing drugs everyday....

nephew just went back to rehab.... this is his 4th time...( he has also been in prison going on the 4th time )
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2010