Does your baby do this?

My daughter is six weeks old. For the past few weeks, and when she is being sick or spitting up, her head jerks back and her face seems to tense up and her eyebrows raise, if her eyes are open they will jerk upwards with her head. She will do this several times. As milk comes out of her nose I first just assumed it was that startling her which made her act like that but I am getting concerned. It doesn't happen everytime she spits up. Has anyone elses baby done this, did it turn out to be normal? I sm seeing the doc in 2 weeks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Without having seen your baby, based off your description it sounds pretty normal. Babies are pretty spastic and jerky at first. It takes a while before they gain control over their muscles. With milk coming out her nose, it sounds like she may have reflux. When you see the dr, be sure to tell him ALL of your baby's symptoms (write them down so you don't leave anything out). Too many moms make the mistake of diagnosing their babies. They go to their dr and say their baby has colic or reflux. Then they only give their drs the symptoms that meet that diagnosis. Don't make this mistake. Don't start searching these symptoms online. Just go to your dr, tell him EVERYTHING about your baby's diet, sleep, behavior, etc and let him diagnose your little one.

It sounds like you may be worried about seizures, but what you're describing isn't a seizure. Don't worry. Just take care of your baby and wait and see what your dr says.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:42 AM on Apr. 9, 2010