Would you just get rid of the junk or keep it?

Our house has clutter with stuff we don't use. It's driving me insane any more to have clutter. My husband also complains about the clutter. The thing is I go through and sort out what to take to Goodwill and my husband comes behind me and goes through the bags and takes almost everything back out and says he thinks we should keep it. For example, we have like 25 coffee mugs and neither of us drink coffee. He finds every reason to keep them. Our house isn't piled high with stuff but I think it would be a lot more organized and brighter in the house if we could just get rid of some things. I hate to not ask my husband about what to get rid of but when he won't get rid of anything, it's getting frustrating.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If you took to Goodwill without him knowing would he notice? Or you could have a garage sale, maybe he wouldnt' mind letting go of it if it turned into cash. The last time we had a garage sale, we earned a couple of hundred dollars. When it was over I called habitat for humanity and took everything that didn't sell. It was great.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 8:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• yard sale sounds good. You can also try craigslist for some of it.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 8:50 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• He sounds like my husband, what I do is get rifd of the stuff when he is not there and get rid of it before he gets a chance to go through it. Since he doesn't use most of the stuff he won't even know it is missing, go for it!

Answer by older at 8:53 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I'd get rid of it. Chances are really good he's not going to notice it anyway. (I've gotten rid of things of my DH's like that.) Also, check out flylady.net. Maye you can get your DH on board and get him into doing some 27 Fling Boogies with you!
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 8:59 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• let him watch hoarders...tell him that its going to be him one day =)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:59 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Get rid of the junk! Put it on freecycle or take it to Goodwill. Even when I have things of value that I don't use or need anymore, I just get rid of it. Life's too short to spend all day cleaning up crap I don't even want.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 9:00 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I told my DH that we would box things up and put them in the basement and we would keep them for 1 year. If at the end of the year he hadn't needed those items I would take them to Goodwill. It worked for us, in fact after a few months he loaded the boxes into the car himself. Although it worked for my DH I know my FIL would have gotten the stuff out of the boxes just so he could keep it, not because he needed it. For my DH it just gave him a comfort zone so he could be sure it was ok to get rid of the stuff.
    Diana49424

Answer by Diana49424 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I don't even tell my husband I cleaning crud out. I've had my share of trips to Salvation Army/Goodwill.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Do it when he's not home to object.

I have a serious aversion to clutter, and about had a panic attack the first time I watched Hoarders. Every 3 months, I go through every room and declutter. My basic rule is that if I haven't seen it, touched it, used it, etc. in 6 months, it has to go.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 10:47 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I've got to go with Diana on the box it up and see if you miss it. If you dont have a basement, get one of the U-store-it lockers. See how he likes having an extra bill each month to keep stuff he doesn't need.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Apr. 9, 2010