Homeschool moms: Are you going to tell your kids ALL the facts??

I work in a resturant with a couple of 20 yr old guys who were both homeschooled, one of them has a girl friend who was also homeschooled. All three of them are now in college. One our managers got a kidney stone and somehow the conversation came up of how bad it must hurt to have something that big come out of your pee hole! Well the two guys wanted to know where a pee hole on a woman was. So they asked the one guy's GF and she did not either. They got online and looked up a picture, the girllooked at the picture and almost threw up! One of the guys was telling me this story and I'm just thinking WOW! This is like basic middle school health stuff. And I don't think I have to mention that all three of them are virgins (which there is noting wrong with!) I was just amazed at how three 20 yr old college students didn't even know the basic parts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• sounds like more of a religious thing than a homeschooled thing because it sounds like there's never been any self exploration going on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Ugh, ignorance strikes again. Not talking about the kids either.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:26 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Don't lump those 3 people will all homeschooled kids. This question is really dumb. Some homeschooling moms are doing a great job, some are fruity. It's no different than parents who send their kids to school. Some of them are doing a great job and some of them are fruity.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:30 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I would err more on the side of dramatics. I am pretty sure at least the girl knew where her pee came from. Perhaps she didn't want to say or just would rather have not been in the discussion at all. AND homeschool has nothing to do with it. They couls have been in public school health and been NOT PAYING ATTENTION!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My DD is homeschooled and yes she knows all the facts. Maybe even too much for her age. I just know I'm going to get a phone call one day from my friend saying "do you know what your kid just said to my kid!" LOL

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:37 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Raising children that ignorant should be considered abuse.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:39 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Isn't birth contorol and disease prevention covered in basic middle school health?vvNot every kids pays attention or cares.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• To start off with, the term "pee hole" is gutter talk. You want to be picky - well, use terms that aren't childish. If their parents didn't want to teach the anatomy of a ureter and urethra, then fine. They will learn that in college in anatomy and physiology class. But, to put them down because they didn't know anatomy and then use such common talk to describe the human body isn't any better. Did you know the proper name of the tube that carries urine from the body. I doubt it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• When I was 20, I worked with 6 women and not a single one of them had any idea at all how their bodies worked, how men's bodies worked or (I am not kidding) what gay men might get up to in bed. I was appalled. Every one of THEM was a university graduate -I was the only one in the bunch who'd never even signed up. Clearly, the amount of formal education someone has is no indicator of how ignorant they'll be.

My children have always known the proper (and improper slang) words for body parts, functions and activities. Neither of them went to school until they entered college.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2010