is it too late to start a pacifier??

ok so my son cries a lot so i have gotten used to it. i have tried pacifiers in the past and bought all different kinds but he has always tried to use my breast as a binki but anyways my son was crying yesterday then going into his screams because he wanted to be held well my older son found a binki and stuck it in his mouth and he was happy he has been using one ever since. is this bad he is 6 months today? i am just scared because he gets it i am going to have to take it away? my other son never took one so i never had to worry? should i just not give it to him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter was 3 months old before she would take a binky. She only started taking it because she was teething. A lot of babies don't have a problem when you take the binky away, just most of the time you hear about the ones that DO have a hard time. I would suggest you let him take the binky since it calms him down. And when you think he's getting to old for one, gradually take it away
    AirForceWife14

Answer by AirForceWife14 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• MY DS never liked them, I don't think it is any big deal,, I would just kind of use it as a last resort!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:58 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I wouldn't introduce a paci after 6 months. My pediatrician even recommends starting to wean from the paci at 6 months if you've used one at all.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:00 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I dont' see anything wrong with it, your son is learning how to self soothe. That's very important. What we did, was once my son was a year old he only had his Paci at night and nap time. He wasn't allowed to have it when we were out and about or throughout the day, unless he was sick. But I dont' think there is anything wrong with it.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My son is almost 5 mo. and just recently started taking a pacifier. I don't know what the answer is. My daughter is 2 and is super addicted to hers and I loathe the thought of taking it away. My pediatrician said to just poke holes in the end and she'll get frustrated with them and toss them herself (planning to do this in a couple of weeks once she's used to her big girl bed...just made the switch). I've heard various thoughts on the subject. Most kids ween themselves from the paci by age 3 with no permanent damage to their teeth and mouth. It is kind of embarrassing though that my walking, talking toddler still sucks on her newborn pacifier. =) I've also heard that it can delay speech development, etc. but my daughter speaks more clearly and can say more words and sentences than other toddlers her age who don't take a paci. It could just be a fluke though.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:18 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My 16 month old takes a paci, but we have limited it to his crib and the occasional long car trip (2.5 hrs to the beach). In the mornings, he will take it out of his mouth when he's in his crib to call for us and then stick it back in until we come get him - it's really funny that he's learned to take it out when he wants to talk!

Answer by missanc at 10:21 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Honestly, in the beginning, I didn't even want to give my son a paci for fear that he was going to get too attached to it, but I quickly learned that those little things are life savers! My son is very mouth-orientented and has a very strong sucking reflex. So either he has something else in his mouth or I have to nurse him. Luckily, the 2nd paci we tried (MAM) he loved. He's 8 months old and still has it pretty often. I'm not too concerned about it yet. He has gotten better with not wanting it as much as he did when he was younger so I don't really forsee a problem.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My daughter tossed the habit at 14 months.I was sad because she looked so freakin with a binky face lol.My youngest baby wont even take it.I do have a couple GumDrop binkys around the house.She just bits them for teething.She doesnt like teething rings..she likes the binky feel i guess..
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:13 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My son wouldn't take one until 4 months. Before that, my son DID NOT nap during the day unless he was on my breast,so he was frequently fussy and I was just worn out (and so were my nips). But he started using the paci during naptimes and when he wasn't feeling well or was cranky (not 24/7,,,this is important), and it was a lifesaver! We were both so much happier. And you know what? By 8 months he was only using it at naptime or for teething, and by 10 months I was able to take it away completely without even a single sleepless night.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 11:50 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Ha, sorry, didn't really give my answer. IMO it's fine to start at 6 months,if it helps you both feel better. The important thing is to not leave it in all.the.time. as this is what leads to attachment, tooth issues, and all the other reasons people wean their kids from pacis.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 11:51 AM on Apr. 9, 2010