Weaning from breast to whole milk at 10.5 months?

I'm currently contemplating on weaning my 10.5 month old son from breast to whole milk now (not stop all together but drop a feeding every week). He only feeds about 2-3 times during the day, closer to 2, and he is getting over a sinus infection so he has been nursing about 2 times during the night. These are more comfort feedings. I also got sick (cold went through the house and triggered his sinus infection and my allergies) and have only found that sudafed or zyrtec D has been able to make me human again. I only recently found out that decongestants can dry up your supply. My 1st son self weaned at 11months (I tried everything to keep him going) and he went to whole milk just fine. I know it's taboo to do this but I refuse to give formula and need to get better now. He eats 3 meals a days plus snacks and drinks about 6ozs of whole milk already. Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 10.5 is too young to go to whole milk. He still needs the nutrients in breast milk. It also sounds to me like you aren't nursing him often enough. My kids were still nursing about 5 to 6 times a day at that age.

Formula is made from cow's milk, but it has all of the nutrients your baby needs. If you just aren't wanting to BF any more but are willing to give him cow's milk why not give him formula so he gets the nutrients he needs?

You need to either continue BFing another 2 months or you need to introduce formula.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:04 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My pediatrician had me start mixing whole milk with formula at 9 mo. until my daughter was exclusively on whole milk at 12 mo. She was on the high end of the weight scale though and eating a ton of solid food. I guess my point is that whole milk before 12 mo. isn't necessarily bad as long as you're sure baby is getting plenty of nutrition and is of a good weight. Talk to your pediatrician.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• You're going to do it anyway, so what is the point in asking us?

It's taboo for a reason. Cow milk does not = breast milk. Breast milk is a living, unprocessed substance, with ten-times the nutrition as cow's milk. Cow's milk is dead, over-processed, and is sorely lacking in most nutrition that an infant or toddler requires. Watch out for severe anemia and symptoms of kidney trouble in your infant. Make sure you get enough iron in his/her diet and I'd suggest using SOME formula for what she/he will be missing when you wean. The 2 "comfort" nursing in the night makes the nursing count 5, which is still nursing enough to get enough nutrition.. but the 2-3 nursing cut-down was likely led by you. It's not self-weaning if you give them a cup of milk to replace BF and don't offer to nurse anymore before a year. It's self-weaning when you don't push the subject with milk substitutes. Your first kid did NOT self-wean.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Maybe a nursing strike, but 11 month olds don't just randomly decide they want to stop nursing if you don't feed them solids before they nurse.

Before a year it is nurse THEN solids. If you don't give solids til they nurse, they'll get hungry and EAT what they are supposed to eat.. which is breast milk or formula. Sorry. Just because the first was fine on this method, doesn't mean the next will be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• And I'm unsure why you're willing to give cow's milk but not formula.. just so you can say your kids never had formula??

Formula > cow's milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Actually, I take that back. The only reason formula is better than cow's milk is because it is better at preventing anemia and kidney stones. Otherwise, people might as well generally feed their babies cow's milk and a multivitamin. There haven't been studies that say how much better formula is than cow's milk. But the literature DOES cite how much better breast milk is than either of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Formula before regular cows milk.
    They have different kinda..LOTS and many people dont understand that.
    cow's milk-based formula
    gentle formula
    lactose-free formula
    added rice starch formula
    soy formula
    next-step or toddler formula
    elemental formula
    amino acid based formula
    You have choices you dont need to do it FOREVER :)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:23 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Kinds*
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:31 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Why not pump? Do everything you can to give your baby what was meant for him, before going to alternatives. Breast milk is the best food.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:33 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• babycakes can you not read?
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:35 AM on Apr. 9, 2010