im so fed up with this eczema, any suggestions or tips?

my sons 17 months old and has really bad eczema, latly its been really bad and im getting soo tired of it. my heart hurts everytime i look at his lil body coverd in this rash thats hes been scratching so the sores are weeping open and some are even scabbed over-
we have tried everything, i made him appointment with his new dr to discuss what meds he needs. right now im using A&D ointment on him cuase im soo desperate! ive used aveeno, ive used gold bond, we only wash him with the aveen witht he dark blue lid, says its for exczema..if anyone has any tips i can try and do to get his flare ups under controls id greatly apreciate it!

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 10:29 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• "What Triggers Eczema in Children? What triggers one infant's eczema won't trigger another's. Still, there are some common eczema triggers to avoid, including:

Dry skin: This is often caused by low humidity, especially during winter when homes are well-heated and the air is dry. Dry skin can make baby's eczema more itchy.

Irritants: Think scratchy wool clothes, perfumes, body soaps, and laundry soaps. These can all trigger baby's eczema flares.

Stress: Children with baby eczema may react to stress by flushing, which leads to itchy, irritated skin -- and an increase in eczema symptoms.

Heat and sweat: Both heat and sweat can make the itch of infant eczema worse.

Allergens: There's still debate as to whether food allergies in children trigger eczema. Some experts believe that removing cow's milk, peanuts, eggs, and citrus fruits from a child's diet may help control eczema symptoms."

From WebMD
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• the doctor hasn't given him anything prescription strength yet!? that is crazy!

my DD has been using different ointments since she was around one year....the kind we are using now is Hydrocortisone Cream USP, 2.5%

It works pretty well. They have stronger stuff and you might need it to get things under control. once you have the meds, the tell you to put it on I believe 2X a day and then use a good lotion everytime you change their diaper. I use aveeno baby lotions that are unscented.

Also, I like to use Aveeno Baby Oatmeal bath stuff in her bathes too. I also like to put baby oil on when she is in the bath right before I take her out.

Eczema definately sucks, but I can't believe that your doctor let it get that bad without any medication!!! Good luck with the new doctor!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:33 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Any sign of a rash I use Aveno oatmeal bath for my children.ANYthing AVENO pretty much.They have Special Exczema lotions also.Expensive but worth it
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:34 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• try eliminating the cause of the eczema. often dairy or gluten can be the cause. there are dairy substitutes like almond milk...often someone with dairy sensitivities also has issues with soy as well. after breast milk we just do water we don't bother with the milk substitutes. they make rice flour...so many baked goods are still available to people with gluten sensitivities.
    you could request an appointment with an allergist, and make a special request to test for dairy and gluten allergies.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• we use the aveen bath otalmeal stuff with eveyr bath he only gets 2 baths a week unless hes really filthy, i used to use the aveeno lotion but it seems to not be helping right now, we have gone to drs and used different steriod creams and they would work for a minute then nouthing-
    he has an appointment in may for this allergie test -
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 10:54 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• btw we have removed all milk n eggs n pnuts n noodles and some other stuff from his diet cause hes allergic to them.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 11:00 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• wow...so he has A LOT of allergy issues. i would continue with the aveeno oatmeal stuff in the bath and even the lotion just to help keep him moisturized. I wish I was better about keeping my DD moisturized.

Did the steroid creams stop working when you were applying them consistently?

my friend's son had a very strange rash. he has eczema but apparently it looked different (I have seen pictures and it does/did look strange). They tried all sorts of medicines and as you said the steroid creams would stop working after a week or so.

eventually they did a biopsy of the rash, but they didn't get any conclusive results. I know she was going to take him to a specialist in Indy (I live in indiana - as does my friend, but she lives about 1.5 hours from indy) to see if they can figure out what is going on with him.

I would keep trying. I wish I had more advice! Good luck. It is horrible when they are all itchy...
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• have you tried massaging the skin with a pure oil...like grape seed, or jojoba...maybe use a pure lotion...like shea butter, or coco butter. try massaging of course after baths...but maybe 2-3 a day as well. i really hope you get some good news, or at least useful information from the allergist. in the meantime you could try to eliminate gluten. maybe give your baby fish oil and probiotics? i can't imagine how frustrating this must be :(
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I use hydrocortizone cream with aloe for flare ups and then coconut oil all the time. Works wonders! HTH.
    3jewlz

Answer by 3jewlz at 11:09 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• use un sented dove, just hydrocortizone twice daily.
    lyrasmom

Answer by lyrasmom at 11:16 AM on Apr. 9, 2010