Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ladies, what more can she do? Ideas please.

She works full-time at the school as a teacher's assistant. She has two children and is single. This position works great because she can have the same hours as the child in school and only send one to daycare. This is not paying enough though. It covers rent, about one week of daycare and not much else. I have been covering utilities for her for most of the school year, and family members cover daycare. There is only five weeks of school left and if she holds out will receive three paychecks at the end. This would get her through part of the summer until she starts school in the fall. She will go full time and receive financial aid then. I am stumped though as to how she can get more money now. She cannot receive any assistance other than food stamps. I need ideas....


Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • this is not help with money but help with the grocery bill, has she applied for WIC - government food assistance - since she has little ones she can get free milk, juice and cereal.

    Answer by New2Florida at 10:39 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

  • Does she not get child support for the children?

    Answer by missanc at 10:48 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

  • Can she do odd jobs after she gets off from work? Maybe she can sign up at and offer her services (childcare, housekeeping, senior care, pet care, etc)


    Answer by JeremysMom at 10:50 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

  • OP Here. She cannot get any type of child support.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

  • What skills does she have? She can look for other jobs that use those skills.

    Answer by rkoloms at 12:28 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

  • adoption?

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

  • Prostitution?

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

  • Maybe she can offer her services as a tutor? Since she is a TA it would be along the lines of what she is already doing. If she qualifies for food stamps, she should also qualify for both WIC and HUD (housing/rent assistance-not sure if it's called HUD everywhere) Are there any churches or charities that she could contact?

    Answer by preacherskid at 2:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2010