mixing cereal into formula to make baby sleep

i do think that for the most part doctors really shouldn't tell a mother what to give her baby unless medically necessary. lets face it, women have been having babies LONG before modern medicine. anyway my mother in law mentioned that she did not take her doctors advice and mixed cereal in her kids formula to help them sleep at night, they have 6 kids. she said it helped them sleep and they never had a reaction to it or got sick. anyone else try this? i just don't see how the bottle wouldn't get clogged haha

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is medically necessary advice. Doing so could cause choking and digestive issues.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I never tried it, heard it doesn't help, and all 4 of my kids have slept through the night (8 plus hours) by 2 months. There are much safer ways to get a baby to sleep.

Answer by missanc at 10:41 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• IMO it's selfish and dangerous
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 10:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• yea my doctor told me not to do that bc he had a niece that passed away bc of that
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• women have been having babies LONG before modern medicine  Yes, BUT the babies didn't always live.  Infant mortality was very high. 

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:46 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I know of a lot of moms that mix a little bit of cereal into a baby's bottle to help them sleep at night. It is usually during that transition period around 4-6 months where they are starting solid foods. Some parents mix it in and others just mix a little cereal with formula and feed it to them with a spoon. Only about a tablespoon of prepared cereal. It can cause some digestive discomfort if their little bodies aren't ready to handle it though. Every baby is different. Cereal is an optional part of their diet starting at 4 months anyway. Just go slow and see how they do.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:46 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Lots of people "are still alive" with diabetes and heart disease, etc.
    This topic comes up every 2-3 weeks. Go do a search.
    You are going to do it anyway so why post?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I just want to jump in here and say that I have cared for a lot of infants and always follow what the mothers have asked me to do. But the doctors here have never said a child will die from eating infant cereal. They have actually encouraged trying it to see if it helps a baby sleep through the night. They have even asked us to try cereal to help those infants who are consuming large amounts of formula and not being satisfied. Every doctor is different and I want to encourage you to follow the doctor's advice you trust and have used. But there is no need to scare anyone who doesn't agree with your child rearing philosophies.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:59 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• my doctor actually suggested putting rice cereal in my baby's bottle. 1 tablespoon for every 4 ounces. She was spitting up a lot, and he said it would lessen that and fill her up more so she'll sleep longer. He said to use rice cereal because it dissolves into the formula and makes it thicker. My mother-in-law however, does oatmeal, which kinda bugs me...
    AirForceWife14

Answer by AirForceWife14 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• It is dangerous and NOT good for baby.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:05 AM on Apr. 9, 2010