Just a hypothetical question about a teenage relationship

So pretend you have a teenage daughter who is dating a teenage boy and they are getting serious and are sexually active. Your daughter does not want to tell you she is having sex because she is scared of how you will react. The boy's mother, however, knows they are having sex and after having a serious conversation with both of them, offers to get your daughter birth control. How would you feel about that? On one hand she is undermining your authority but on the other hand she is being proactive about warding off any unwanted pregnancies for your daughter because she knows she wont talk to you about it and she knows if teens want to do it they will.

Again this is just a hypothetical question NOT a real question. (so dont try to give me advice on what I should do) Just pretend you are in the situation and how you would feel and react.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• ummmmm who cares? If its not real, then i don't care to respond.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I wouldn't be ALL THAT MAD.. I would be more mad at myself that I didn't make myself available to my daughter and that I didn't have her trust because she didn't feel comfortable telling me about it.
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 10:42 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I wouldnt have let it get that far. I would have already taken my daughter and put her on BC. I dont think putting your daughter on the pill at an earlier at say 14... promotes sexually activities- and if for some reason it did. At least my daughter would be safe from getting pregnant.

Ive always said. .. If a girl is going to be skanky and sleep around that her issue when she brings home an STD. SHE has to live with it- but getting pregnant results in an innocent person paying the consequences for her mitaKES.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 10:42 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• i'm putting my daughter on bc once she gets her period anyway. there is only so much counciling a parent can give a child, i'd rather not be a grandmother while i'm still driving her to school, fact is no matter what i teach her she's gonna make her own decisions and i'd rather she be safe. my husband and i both agree on this.....however he says she can't date til she's thirty anyway so i don't see why he agrees with the bc hahahaha
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I'm pretty sure I'd go off on that other "mom." Also, my daughter would no longer be dating the boy. Hell, I'd file charges if I could. Nobody will be whoring out my daughter (or son, to switch it up.)
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• hello BC is not 100% people and it only prevents a possibly pregnany what about STD's - why is everyone so open to their kids having SEX! I'm talking to you ANON - once she gets her period?? - why would you want to give her more hormones her body doesn't need!?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I would be hurt that my daughter didn't trust me enough to tell me and grateful that his mother was looking out for both of the kids' futures. At worst, I would probably hold some small feelings of resentment toward his mother since she is the one my daughter turned to instead of me but not maliciously, only because I want to be the one my daughter can confide in about these things. In the end, the most important thing is the kids' safety and I would be relieved that someone was taking care of them.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 10:47 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• i somewhat agree with Pnukey - i'd be pretty upset too. and yes they would no longer be seeing each other - i have a 13 yr old daughter - when she gets older and starts to hang out more with boys - they will never be alone if I can help it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• The other woman isn't "undermining" anyone's "authority." In this situation the girl's mother has not forbidden birth control. She's just not in the know.

I think it's a tragedy when parents can't communicate responsibly with their own children about their health and safety. If I were the boy's mother, I would call the other mother and make her aware that I had sat down with MY child ONLY and had a very serious discussion. If my daughter's female friends ever seem to be in a situation where they are uninformed and ill prepared, I'd hope that my daughter could be a good influence on them about being educated.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:49 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• LOL. I would flip. No child of mine is going to fornicate! I won't have it! It's nasty. It causes low self-esteem, gossip, unnecessary risks, and stress. NO WAY. I'd probably go off on the other mother for thinking it's okay for them to mess around. Why in the world to teenagers thinks it's okay to have sex? It's stupid. Play video games or something! Read the bible and pray.
    WomanOfGod7

Answer by WomanOfGod7 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 9, 2010