Best way to get your "fur-kids" ready for a new baby?

Im 34 weeks along & already the proud mommy of a 3 1/2 & 1 1/2yr old~ Im referring to my "fur-kids" Buster & Daisy (my sweet cocker spaniels) They are the best kids ever, even if they have fur & walk on 4 legs haha :) Thru-out my whole pregnancy, they have been really good, taking all the changes in stride jus like me & hubby are. We've been working hard teaching them not to jump on ppl & trying to break them from sleeping in our bed (that is the hard part!) I also let them in the nursery when Im in there so they can see everything, sniff it & hopefully try to understand what is going on.
My question is~ Do any of you have big brother/big sister fur-kids & how did you introduce them to new baby?

mommyw2010

Asked by mommyw2010 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Pets

• there's an episode of the dog whisperer about this. I followed his advice. Cocker spaniels have a reputation for being nippy, especially when they get older. I'm sure they respect you very well, but you never know with a baby.

i have 3 dobermans, and while they're not biters, they are really big and just walking next to the baby and brushing against him can knock him down.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Have hubby bring home a blanket that smells like baby and let them sniff, before you come home from the hospital. When you get home have hubby hold baby while you pay attention to the pups, then sit down in the floor and hold baby and let the pups sniff and get use to the idea. Don't expect them to warm up to fast and just keep a close eye on the pups. Good luck!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 11:18 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My sister just had a baby and she has a 2 year old dog. The dog is having a bit of a hard time. It started pooping on the floor which it never did. It's hard! Good luck! Maybe talk to the people at PetSmart? I find them to be very knowledgeable about these things.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:45 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• This reminds me of Lady and the Tramp since she was a cocker. : )
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 5:55 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• LIke busybeesmom said, let the dogs get the scent of the baby before you bring him/her home. Before hand, if you know anyone with young children let your dogs be around them now... Do be very cautious. I know these dogs are your "babies" but you should always keep a close eye on them. Dogs do tend to get jealous. And make sure that you still spend plenty of time with them while baby is sleeping. I'm sure they'll do just fine! Good luck Momma!
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 9:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I am a vet tech this is what I tell all my clients. When your baby is born take home the baby blankets first so that the dogs can smell them and get use to the smell. Then when the baby is born they will eventually warm up to the idea.
    They will do better then what you will think. I have 2 great danes and very spoiled but when I brought my son home they warmed up to him and they were very protective.
    As busy as your going to be you have to also pay attention to your dogs. When you don't thats when they will get out of hand.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 6:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2010