When is a good age to start giving my baby baby food?

I had always heard that a baby should start eating baby food at about 6 months. However, my mother-in-law has been trying to get me to give my baby baby food since she was 3 months old? What should I do?

AirForceWife14

Asked by AirForceWife14 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wait until 6 months. There is no reason to give it sooner. Maybe 5 months if you really want to.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:10 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I started at 3mo with rice cereal and then worked on other things. .but it really depends on you baby. As long as he/she doesnt have that tounge thurst thing (where they spit out their food) then they should be good as long as your comfortable
    njstewart07

Answer by njstewart07 at 11:14 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I started cereal at 4m it really helped with scheduling. Kept baby full longer & then he was able to go 3hrs between each feeding. I started adding some fruits to his cereal at 5m and added everything else to his diet about 6-6.5m
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• 6 months is the recommended time. For some odd reason, grandmothers seem to think babies need baby food. Maybe that's how it was done in their day, or maybe they've forgotten a little about development timelines. But the fact remains that most babies cannot digest solids, and in fact have a reflex to protect themselves from them (the tongue-thrust reflex), until 4-6 months. Maybe even later. If you try to feed your child solids and he/she sticks her tongue out and pushes the food out, he/she is not ready for solids, and I wouldn't even try it at 3 months, there's just no reason to. Tell MIL to STFU.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 11:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Ignore your MIL.

It's recommended that babies be exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months. Then they can start feeding themselves fork mashed foods like banana, sweet potato, and avocado.

Formula fed babies sometimes start earlier but it should not be fefore 4 months.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• i started at 4 months she was watching us eat and really looked like she wanted some so i made her some rice cereal and she ate it and really seemed to enjoy it we started out slow with just rice cereal for almost a month then started to add more stuff but i think its best to do what you feel is right for your baby but at 6months for sure
    laura0107

Answer by laura0107 at 12:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My mother and mother in law wanted me to give my kids cereal right away. Like at 1 month! I didn't. I think that is the way they used to do it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I agree that 6 mos should be the earliest you offer solids. Keep in mind that, 1) you don't HAVE to start at 6 mos, you CAN wait longer if you'd like, 2) you don't HAVE to use infant cereals, it's ok to start with fruits or veggies, and 3) if you wait until 6-7 mos, you can skip jars, and just mash up almost whatever YOU'RE eating for baby. (you can also do this if you start before 6 mos, but if you do, I'd recommend pureeing the food)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Oops, forgot to mention that solids COMPLIMENT their food source. So, when introducing solids, and all the way until the first birthday, you either nurse, or offer a bottle FIRST, then offer solids AFTER their feeding.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Never.

Baby food was designed to compensate for the often-lethal deficiencies in early formulas. Skip it, wait for baby to be ready for table foods, and go directly to the same kinds of foods you eat. You'll save a lot of money, and avoid a lot of allergies, digestion problems and iron-deficiency anemia which is caused by too-early solids (which interfere with a baby's ability to absorb lactoferrin, the iron in breastmilk).
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2010