Should a mom be a stay at home mom if her family is on food stamps/govern. housing?

I saw a similar question on a post awhile back. I want to know what other moms think. Basically, if a woman's husband is working only part-time so he could finish up school, do you think it is "right" (for lack of a better word) for her to be a stay at home mom to her under-5 children?
I'm assuming she does all the cooking, cleaning and keep home in order like a SAHM does.
What do you HONESTLY think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let's beat the dead horse again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I think you take care of your family first then go to school if you have to be on assistance you should both be working
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• in some ways it doesnt seem right, but at the same time.....i know if i were to work fulltime right now, i would be making only enough to pay daycare....that is in-home daycare....and that is because i haven't finished school myself. so it would be ridiculous for me to work so that another person could spend time with my children.

we are not on food stamps right now, but the kids do have medicaid/secondary mediciad. i am sure that there are others in similar positions. if all my kids were in school, it would be worth it for me to work during their school day.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• If its what her and her husband decided on the i dont care.They could be better off with her staying home because the cost of daycare is so ridiculous that no matter what they would be on PA.You never know a persons situation.WORKING is not always easier ALL that money goes to daycare.It would for me.Day care cost 800 here.So i wouldn't even make that much.We also make more with me NOT working :) and we get WIC.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:20 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I dont agree with P.Aide for people who COULD better themselves. If DH is only wking part time and going to school part time there is still @ least 8hrs in each day that he could be home with the kids while his wife worked- even if meant she had to wk overnights...
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• pinkcicle709: if she worked nights, when would she sleep since she would have to be up with the kids during the day?
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• i honestly believe that yes, if they think it is what is best for their children. If the kids are all in school though, then I think it would be different ....

If he is only working part time and they have to be on like foodstamps and the welfare insurance, I doubt they are able to do alot ( money wise) ...and it is probably hard, but like me, I feel like I HAVE to be with my kids until they are school age , and if I was on welfare I would probably still try to stay home
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:23 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I think that by the time she paid for daycare, she would be back to square one, so yes I think it is fine!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:24 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Do whatever it takes. If that is what is best for your family, then do it. I just want to say whats the difference if the mother stays at home and they get assistance, or if she works and her kids are in child care and we pay for that instead. I would much rather see a mom stay at home with her kids, love them, and not worry about what everyone else thinks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I work nights and only sleep a few hours a day it can be done
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 11:25 AM on Apr. 9, 2010