Would you stop being friends for your kids sake?

If you had a long time friend whose kid was 'unruly' and negatively affected your child would you stop being friends with them for the sake of your kid and your own sanity?
(btw, if your reply is to 'talk to her', might as well end the friendship...because that would NOT go over well--she is the perfect parent afterall :))

ProudSingleMum

Asked by ProudSingleMum at 11:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in General Parenting

• If talking to her would end the friendship then it's not a very good friendship. You need to tell her that her child is a bad influence and why. Examples. Try to be nice about it if you can. I know, easier said than done.

It could be that your only option is to hang out with her without the kids. If she wants to know why then tell her why.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:02 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I wouldn't stop being friends but I would limit the interaction the kids had together....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I would tell her my problem and if she took it critically and does not think hey maybe I should look at the objectively then is she really that great of a friend.
    ilovemybananer

Answer by ilovemybananer at 12:18 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Only see her without her's or your child. Like a girl's night out. thats the only way I see to save an otherwise good friendship
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:08 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• This is a toughie. I go through this with our own relatives :( I try to bring it up when the other kids do something I think needs attention but I have yet to learn what else to try, because they are not usually disciplined :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:00 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• That has kind of happened with a good friend of mine. My son is a tough kid but my friend's son can be over-the-top mean. They will start out playing well with eachother and then something will anger the other boy and he has had my son (they are both 8) on the ground kicking him repeatedly in the ribs. My friend has her hands full with younger children and has not dealt with her son's issues like I wish she would . I still chit chat with her by email but my son's well-being and safety come first so I don't invite the other boy over anymore.
    3kidz4me

Answer by 3kidz4me at 11:41 AM on Jun. 27, 2008