pregnant dog help

I am a "regular" dog rescuer...but I am getting one tonight that is pregnant, and I have never had a dog who was pregnant before ( she is basically due at any time) ... the people were basically just throwing her out becasue she was pregnant and they didnt want the puppies around.

She is a small dog ( daschound mix) ...I mean I know she should know how to push them out...but how will I know if she needs help and if so what do I do .. the closest vet is almost an hour away and is not open at night ( if that happens to be when she needs help) ...

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 11:32 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You'll need to provide a dark, quiet area for her to whelp. Even then, she may try to hide somewhere else. Once the labor starts in earnest, you'll notice her straining to push. She should produce a puppy every 30 to 45 minutes or sooner. If she stops straining and you're SURE there are still pups, she'll need to get to a vet for help. She may cry as the pups are born, that's okay. She should immediately tear the sac and start cleaning the pup, leave everything to her unless you notice she's not doing it. We had a Golden that delivered 3 pups in a row and we had to help open the sac and clean them up, then we left them to her. You may want to have a towel on a heating pad set on low in case you need to get a few pups out of the way while she is still delivering, but with a Doxie she may not have a big litter so you wouldn't need to do that unless you notice they're getting cold while she's delivering the rest.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Our dog had puppies. Just set up a box that she can get in and out of right away. Put a towel in it. Hopefully, she'll feel comfortable enough in there to have the puppies there. Our dog had no problems. We were all right there, but she knew what to do. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:40 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• It's preferable to leave the pups alone next to mama. They should nurse as soon as possible; it'll help her labor to continue.

Mama may need some room temp water at some point during labor, just offer it to her and she'll drink if she wants. No food until she's settled down after the pups are delivered, and then it's best to feed something that would be easy on her tummy for a day.

Bed her with an old blanket or towels during delivery. Don't bother to change it until she's done, then she should still have a discharge for several days so still keep her on clean but old blankets or towels.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I should add that we only had to take a whelping bitch to a vet once, when her labor stopped for 2 hours and we knew there were still pups in there. If your vet is closed, find one that is willing to come in to the office for emergencies.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• After reading the other answers I remember that we did have to open one of the sacs. The mommy dog took care of the first few and then it was as if she didn't notice the last one. We had to open the sac, give it a rub and place it so it could nurse.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2010