• In the Spotlight:

How to get my toddler to nap? She fights it...what can I do. When she starts rubbing her eyes I put her in her crib with some toys..she cries when I do this :(sometimes it works, sometimes it doesen't. Any other suggestions..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd normally has no problem going to sleep when I put her down. However there are days that she will be awake in her crib for over half an hour. If I felt she really was not sleepy I take her out and try again in an hour. But on days where she is extremely cranky or whiney and really needs a nap she it doesnt matter how much she kicks, screams, or cries....she stays in there and eventually she will fall asleep.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:41 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• if her crib is what she sleeps in at night, she may think it's time for bed. try puting her down in a pack and play or on the couch or something..i sit with my dd until she falls asleep for nap time and sing "sunshine" (you are my sunshine is her favorite song..aside from taylor swift lol)...and all we have to do at night is tell her to get in her bed and she will. granted, right now we're trying to phase her out of our room..she's in a pallet on our floor, but we tell her to get in bed, and she'll fuss a little but she'll lay down and go to sleep. try to differentiate (sp??) between the two so she understands..good luck!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 11:51 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• How old is she? my son will be 2-1/2 next month and he recently stopped taking naps all together.. I am going to miss them SO much!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Well, I would stop putting the toys in with her. She doesn't know if you want her to sleep or to play.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:55 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• ALL of my children still nap- my 9 year old only does on the weekend, or she'll lay down and read for an hour... stop putting toys in there, she thinks its play time! Physically lay her down, tell her to lay down, and walk away. when she gets up, lay her down again. It may take a few times (ok, could take 100), but she'll get the point. When I say it is nap time, they simply go to their beds and lay down, it's a normal part of the daily routine.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• First I would get rid of the toys, nap time is for sleeping, not playing. And then I would set up a consistent nap routine that you can stick to everyday. Maybe it's lunch time then you go up and read a book while she sits in her bed and a lullaby CD when you leave.... or whatever you think would work best for you. At first she might still fight it... check on her every 10 mins and remind her "it's nap time, you need to lay down" and then leave again. After 30 mins if she isn't sleeping then nap time is done.

With my son, sometimes sleeping doesn't happen... but he DOES still have quiet time for about an hour.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:08 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I hold my grandson on my lap and we watch music videos on the computer. We he starts getting sleepy I start playing James Blunt Goodbye My Lover over and over and he falls asleep.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2010