Preliminary Testing Child Study team?

I recieved a call today from my sons school asking me to come in for a 5 minute meeting to give me an update on Matthews progress on the preliminary tests he took a while back. I dont ever remember him taking a test for anything besides speech. I cant call back now since I am working but I didnt consent to him being tested for anything. What do you think it is? The teacher notes that he is having trouble reading do you think she tested him without me knowing? By the way my son is in Kindergarten.

supermom4matt

Asked by supermom4matt at 11:38 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• maybe it was just a normal test they give at the beginning of the year. i have never given permission for my kids to take Dibels or NWEA or ISTEP...they are just standardized tests all the kids take....i wouldnt be so freaked out. I would go in with an open mind. Ask them when the test was given that you didn't remember him taking one...or what the test is exactly. I am sure they will give you all the info you need when you go to the meeting.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• It could be the speech testing they are talking about. Speech can be articulation (how he says words), but it can also be language (how he understands uses language). If he is having difficulty in reading they may be evaluating for the language portion of the speech program. Or as the PP said, it could be general testing such as dibbles.  Teachers administer many assessment to check student progress that don't require parental permission. They also may be asking your permission to do more testing. I would be shocked if they did a formal evaluation that required parental permission without getting it. No matter what, it's great that they are thoroughly evaluating to figure why he is having difficulty.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 3:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2010