Why don't parents discipline their children?

Why don't parents effectively discipline their children? Everyone claims that their children are disciplined and well behaved but literally 9 out 10 children in public act ridiculous. I was getting my son's pictures taken and a four year old came up and hit me in the face while i was trying to pick out portraits. We were at the park and two little boys came up to my husband and threw sand at him and my one year old. Both of these parents just stood their watching and said nothing to their children, one of them even laughed. That's only two of the incidents of bad behavior I've witnessed. What is wrong with parents these days? If my child acted like that he would be in so much trouble. I think that we should reinstate spanking sometimes kids just need it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't get it either. I know I'm not a perfect parent, but I think my husband and I are doing a pretty good job. Our three year old is well behaved enough for us to take her to plays and to symphony concerts, and she NEVER distracts anyone. In fact, people always comment on how well behaved she is, especially sitting still for so long.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Where did you get your 9 out of 10 statistic? I agree people should discipline their children, but I'm afraid it's not your children, so there's not much you can do about it... The world is a rough place at times and we just have to learn to take it in stride and remember to teach our own children to respect others, so that they know better than the other children. When you see a child being a "brat", just look at the parent and remember it's them that created the monster, and it's not the childs fault most of the time... Sorry you had such bad experiences.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I agree that there are a lot of unruly kids out there. I also get frustrated when kids are acting out in public and parents do nothing about it.
    The whole "kids will be kids" mentality is going overboard these days.
    My sister has that mentality. My son gets a time out if he hits(which he did when he was 2 but not anymore). My sister's son doesn't because "Oh he's a little boy, that's what they do."
    Yeah...IF YOU LET THEM!
    Some parents are just lazy, some don't think having rude and undisciplined children is such a bad thing and some are just clueless.

Some of us DO care though.
    I still have moments when my son starts to act out in public but I don't just sit there and let it happen.
    Those moments are few and far between and I think that's because I started disciplining him at an early age.

We have actually gotten compliments on his manners and how well behaved he is in restaurants.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 11:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• You saw 2 instances and both were younger kids. Yet, you say 9 out of 10 act up. What made you come to the conclusion that all these kids act like that? Mine does not. He would not throw sand on you and if he did, I would have paddled him real quick.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:47 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Lol you sound like you think your kid is perfect!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Heh. Well, I don't think literally 9 out of 10 kids aren't disciplined. Sometimes it feels that way, though.

It's important to remember that we don't know how kids are just by one interaction with them. Young children tend to have the most issues in public (at least I know mine do!). And even if it seems like parents don't react to their bad behavior, there are a lot of reasons why that could be.

Some kids really aren't well-behaved at the sake of the parents. But I think most of them are just going through phases that we all went through. I think for the most part, parents DO discipline their kids, even if it's not on OUR terms. : )

mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 11:48 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• OP- my kid's not perfect but the problem is I have only seen parents discipline or stop bad behavior maybe a handful of times in my life. I know kids act terrible sometimes and there's nothing you can do about that but you have to take the appropriate action when your children are being physical with others. I came up with 9 out of 10 because go to the park or a public place and count how many kids are being reckless and unsupervised that's the number. The question is why don't parents discipline their children not why do kids act out.
    Anonymous

• i'm with you there hunny, and i think the 9 out of 10 is totally accurate to "my standards". all the moms who would say different are judging it by "their standards" of a well behaved child, and that's the problem. most mom's standards have become so low it's ridiculous. you get compliments in public if your children isn't screaming and acting like a monster but that doesn't even make sense. why compliment a child for behaving how they should behave in the first place. that's like rewarding them for behaving in the store. that only shows them that there is an option to be a monster but they can chose to be good for a treat. my children don't have an option to be naughty.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 12:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Haha your story about that park reminds me...my 2yr old daughter and I were at the park a few days ago, now mind you, my daughter has her moments where she is a monster, BUT in public she is very polite and well behaved. She is one of those children that waits until it is just me and her at home, then she lets loose haha. But anyways, we were at the park, and my daugter wanted to use the slide, so she went up there and said "escusee me" to some boy (about 4 or 5 yrs old) and he looks at her, and raises his voice saying "B*tch, whachu mean excuse me, get out muh way n*gga!" Mind you my daughter is white, this little boy was colored...why is he even saying that horrible word the degrades him, let alone to my daughter? The little boys mom laughed and said to me "He think he a gangsta." Apparently this was funny to her...
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• lol mom of tifffers32788! thats so dumb for you to say that the "N" word degrades him! your worse then the kid who said it! he doesnt know any better because he has dumb parents that would say that he thinks hes gangster! but your a parent...(adult)...
    Anonymous