I need soap that I am not allergic to! Hypoallergeic, help please!

I was using a "regular" kind of soap that didn't irritate my skin, but the store doesn't have it now. I got something of the same brand, and my hands and feet broke out in hives. What can I use now? I was using an irish spring... but the other ones make me itch!!! Anything that is not too costly that works? or am i gonna have to spend a lot at whole foods or something?

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 11:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Health

• dove unscented
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 11:46 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Try plain old Ivory. It's pretty gentle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Unscented dove or white Ivory. I use those and I have sensitiveskin.  You may be able to order the old stuff online.  Check their web site.  As for the hives, use an allergy med with an antihistamine (loratadine).  It might not be the soap.  Sometimes when someone has allergies they can break out in hives for no reason. It can start at any time for any or no reason.  I do all the time and have to take meds daily to prevent it.  But they are cheap and over the counter and make a world of difference.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 11:58 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Have you tried using baby soap? Maybe that will work.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 12:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Any free and clear soap should be tried first- free of dyes and fragrances. BTW- Ivory gives me the worst rash known to man, it's actually the harshest soap on the market, and just happens to be free of dyes and perfumes, so it is often recommended. I wouldn't even go there.
    You can also try Goats Milk soap (we have 2 children with eczema, and can't use anything that is dyed or perfumed, and they also need goo moisture, it's a tough bill to fit!), you can even get it at most local grocery stores.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:16 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I just use shampoo - everything else seems to make me itch and my skin dry out. Works great for shaving too :)
    Anonymous

• I have that problem, the only one that doesn't do thay to me it Olay, or Caress, or try using liquid in stead of bars sometimes that works for me.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Have you tried avoiding soaps completely? They're all made of caustic lye and fat --which is harsh on skin even without the addition of colors and scents which many people find problematic.

Try liquid cleansers (the ones formulated for faces, because they tend to be the gentlest), or 'moisturizing cleansing bars.'
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:40 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I'd go with Ivory or maybe Johnson's baby wash. Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 5:29 PM on Apr. 9, 2010