my gums have been bleeding when i brush my teeth...

my gums have always bled, a very very tiny amount of blood when i brush my teeth..i guess maybe from brushing too hard or something. well, lately i noticed they've been bleeding more...i haven't changed anything to make them do that. at first i thought maybe my teeth were shifting back (i had braces, years ago..and never really wore the retainer..bad i know) but haven't noticed any change in the way they look...it's the part of my gum that's between the two front teeth, and then two teeth to the left is bleeding too..but it's just those two spots...and it happens a little when i suck on my tooth, like to get something out of it, if that makes sense...what could this be??? i'm kind of concerned about it....oh, and i've been taking a prenatal vitamin and calcium supplement, but have laid off, i've simply been forgeting to take them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Health

• Are you pregnant?
    My gums bled more while brushing when I was pregnant.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 11:58 AM on Apr. 9, 2010

• i just got off my period today..i know that you can get a period before you find out....we've had unprotected sex...but i don't think so.
    Anonymous

• Get back on the vitamins. If you are prego you may just have to deal with it. That a common thing for pregnant women. Switch to a soft bristle tooth brush if you haven't already and don't brush as hard.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Ok. It may have something to do with being on your period. Try to notice if it happens again next time. Ask your doctor about taking iron too. That may help.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Get a sonic toothbruth. Not a spin brush they are too harsh. The sonic brush just vibrates. You can get the crest brand sonic for less than $10. Use it everyday and take extra time to massage your gums, it will help make them stronger and keep your mouth cleaner.
    Anonymous

• Talk to a dentist.

You could have infected gums (mmmm) or be deficient in a few different nutrients (the possibilities vary, from scurvy which is vitamin C deficiency, to some of the B vitamins which when deficient cause tooth loss, too). Talk to someone who can assess what it is likely to be --in person.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:29 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• you have gum disease. If you like your teeth and want to keep them, get to a dentist.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• thanks rkoloms..just what i wanted to hear!!! can you hear the sarcastic sound in that sentence?!
    Anonymous