Potty Training SUCKS!!!!

So my 2 1/2 year old Son is ready to be potty trained. He takes off his own diapers and pees on the floor ALL the time (I'm sick of it!). So we told him that after Easter we were saying Bye-bye Isacc's diapers,. He was so excited! In the morning I put him in underwear and we set a timer for 30minutes (so he knows when to go potty) and he'll go in and sit on the potty and do NOTHING, then not 5 minutes later he'll pee on the floor! UGH! I've tried everything I know to do. We have a sticker chart, we give candy, we praise his good job (when it goes in the potty). We don't make a huge deal about the accidents (we tell him next time he should try and make it in the potty and then he has to help us clean it up). Anyone have any good ideas for potty training a boy???My mom has 6 girls and 1 boy and keeps telling me it was so much harder and my friend that has a boy took months to potty train him, I don't want it to take months...

OBImomma

Asked by OBImomma at 12:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i started at 2 1/2, in 4 days he was in underwear. doesn't mean he didn't or still doesn't have accidents though. he's now 3 (turned 3 last month) and still has accidents. i have to be consience of the time and put him on there myself, if not, then there's accidents. he's doing really well now, he's starting to understand what i feel like to have to go potty, but it's at the last second, and he tells me right before he goes on himself. sometimes he'll go a little bit, then catch himself and run to the potty (yesterday he went in the bathroom all by himself and didn' allow us in there lol. but he went!) boys are harder. my 20 month old dd is already ready, she comes up to me and tells me when she's already went in her diaper.

i know what you mean though, putting him on the potty then 5min later he goes on the floor. been there! get a kitchen timer and set it for every hour, &every half hour that he doesn't go.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• You can buy these little tablets to put in the potty for him to aim at. They look like colored Styrofoam peanuts and they dissolve. Or you could use fruit loops. Also you can get those cleaning tablets you put in the tank that turn the water blue and tell him pee is magic and it turns the water green.  First thing in the am. put him on the potty and don't let him up till he pees.  If he starts to whine, play some music or play peek a boo.  Keep him occupied.  Put him on a 'sippy scedual'.  Give him the same amount of drink at the same times every day and pay attention to when he pees.  Then put him on the potty at those times.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• You may want to try this instead of the timer method:
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/562/forums/read/4235060/3_Day_Potty_Training_Post
    We used the method described in this journal post and it worked with both our daughters.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Buy him a potted plant to pee on :) Im kidding)remember that episode of super nanny and the kid and mom would go for walks so he could pee on peoples yards and in bushes lol)
    Anyways.IT does SUCK.my daughter is 3 and will go on the floor rather then the potty....grrrrrrrrr Once diapers run out that is IT.I bought a spot cleaner.I am ready! lol
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I have a little girl I hear it's easier to train girls, but Oh My Goodness it was rough... I let my daughter go with no undies for a month, she pee'ed on the floor for about a week. Then she got the hang of it... The trouble came when we tried to get her to wear undies. It just took time and alot of accidents... 2 months before she turned 3 she is fully potty trained... Hang in there momma!!!! He will get there...

Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 12:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• haha! thanks everyone I know he'll get it soon. My mom said to potty train in the summer so he can pee outside I think after a few more days he'll be doing better after I posted this he ran to the bathroom and went in his potty...So maybe I should have put this up here a few days ago! lol
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 12:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I had a similar experience with my daughter. She wanted to wear underwear but everytime she would sit on the potty she wouldn't go and then would end up peeing her underwear.I eventually talked to the doctor and learned she wasn't ready yet. I stopped trying to potty train her and then 2 months later she just decided it was time and hasn't worn a diaper since January and had 1 accident. Just hang in there.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 1:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2010