Attachment to Blanky

My daughter is 3 and takes blanky with her every where we go.How can I get her to feel safe with out blanky? is it really hurting her to drag it along? I dont care that she loves her blanket to much.My husband cant stand it and even yells(not like really yelling but annoyed tone lol)He says its embarrassing but I told him I am embarrassed when we go out and all he does is yell at her about the blanket.Maybe thats why she is attached? because daddy is kinda a blanky bully lol? Idont know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son has a bear that was lovingly named "Sucky Bear" because it's basically a sack with a bear head on it. Lol.

He used to take him everywhere, couldn't sleep without him, the only thing that could make him feel better if he hurt himself or felt sad was Sucky.

I slowly started removing Sucky from situations. He could take him for the car ride but had to stay in the car when we got to the store because "we don't want him to get lost".
    Then he started not coming for car rides for the same reason. "Sucky is going to stay home and hang out at the house."
    Pretty soon he was only around for bed time and nap time.

We accidentally(for real accident, not "accident", lol) misplaced him when we were moving and he had to go without him for a night. I was expecting the worst but he did just fine. I found Sucky the next day but I put him in my sock drawer just to see how long he could go without him.
    It's been 6 weeks so far.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:25 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My son had a blanket until he was 8. He kept it at home though. I miss his "Brown Dat". She'll outgrow it and you will miss it too. Tell your husband to get over it and worry about something real.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:25 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• You can set limits on where the blanky can go - like in the car, but not the store; outside to play, but not to the playground; etc. This is what we did with my 2nd son who was very attached to his elmo doll. Once she is used to going some places without blanky, you can limit it more and more until blanky is at home all the time.

Answer by missanc at 2:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Your husband is confused about where he ends and other people start. She is not him, and she is not an accurate reflection of him. Stand them naked side by side in front of a mirror and see if he can see where the differences are. Is this a bad time to say 'grow up, buddy'?

What hurts children is attaching to objects instead of people, because objects cannot meet their needs. Now, after years of being attached to the object that's meant to meet needs no one else will meet, she's supposed to give it up. Why, because he's finished needing anything? Because he's finished with her needing anything? Because he wasn't allowed to keep his blankie when he was her age so it's not fair (yeah: grow up, buddy.)

He is asking her to throw away what has mothered her for years. Will he ask her to throw you away, later?

I just can't get my head around the urgency to attach a child to a thing and then to dispose of that thing asap?????
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:19 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with it. Your dh needs to grow up! My dd is just turning 5 and still loves her blanky, she doens't carry it every place anymore, but sleeps with it every night. Your dh sounds very immature.
    Anonymous

• It's not hurting her at all. Blanket can't go to school, but otherwise, it's fine. She'll give it up when she's ready.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2010