What ingrediant(s) is in baby formula that is bad or no good for babies?

I am looking at the back of a formula can and truthfully, its like reading another language,lol.
What ingrediant or ingrediants are in formula that makes it no good to give to babies? And why, what does it do?
I'm trying to figure out if it would be okay to give my baby formula as a supplement.
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Depending on the amount of iron in the formula and how well your baby can tolerate it can be good or bad. Many of the good nutrients in formula are written on the can but just not absorbed by your baby. I'm not sure what all the bad stuff is. If I had to guess Id say all the hormones and antibiotics given to the dairy cows can't be good. You can probably find some info at AAP.org.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Of course it's OK. Many children have been given nothing but formula and they grow up happy and healthy.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Both of my kids were formula fed and both are perfectly happy and healthy.
    If there was anything harmful for babies in formula they wouldn't be allowed to sell it.
    Obviously breast milk is the safest thing to give to babies but not everyone can breast feed which is why formula exists.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:33 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• i think the main argument is that some ingredients haven't been used long enough to know if they have any lingering effects.

I breastfed and supplemented with a soy formula, my son had a minor intolerance to lactose, but he's over it now.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Just want to add that if your still going to be BF, I'd get the low iron formula at least at first. Iron and formula in general can cause constipation.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:37 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• If you want to PM me I have a break down of what is in Soy formula and what everything means. I am sure some of that will translate over to milk based as well. It is too much information to post in the answer section.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 12:41 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I don't know much about formula, or know why you're considering supplementing, but if you have a specific concern with nursing, like a possible supply issue, I, and many others here can help you determine if there really IS a problem. If you're considering supplementing with formula just because you WANT to, and don't feel that you NEED to, then go ahead and disregard this.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Why would you supplement at all? I'm BFing my 3rd child now. I even BF my first while pregnant with my second. There is no need to supplement. Giving formula opens their gut by introducing either dairy or soy which can cause a food allergy. Breast milk is better, free, and easier. If you're already BFing, why complicate things by adding formula?
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Uh, have you tried googling the ingredient list- you'll get MUCH more comprehensive answers that way... I'm not even going to bother, all of the FF defensive guilt is already too much.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:08 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• There's a video floating around somewhere with a guy explaining all the ingredients in formula.

But, the bottom line is just that the nutrients are inferior quality. The proteins are from a different species (which can cause allergy issues), the fats are not as high quality, and unless you're using the most basic dairy formula, the carbohydrate is based on corn syrup. Those are just the macro nutrients. The micro nutrients are synthetic, or lab-created, and as such, they aren't as easily absorbed or assimilated.

That is just what's in formula... what isn't in it is the bigger issue. Anti-bodies and enzymes, stem cells... etc...

The problem with supplementing is that those synthetic nutrients I mentioned before (iron being the most problematic) can cause the nutrients in your milk to not be as well absorbed, and the lack of living cells in formula can cause the balance of your childs digestive system to be thrown off.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2010