How nice is too nice?

We just met this man tues day he is the officer for the apartments we live at, he has been over to dinner and we took our children to the park together we went over and talked with him for little bit yesterday. He is a very nice guy but Im worried he may be too nice, the day after we met him he said anytime we need him to he would baby sit our son he offered to let me drive his car when i get my license which he also now trying to help me get. He brought me coffee yesterday and we talk a lot not just me and him, he and my husband also.. While i am happy to meet such a kind and generous person i am a little concerned should i be? He is newly divorced so maybe he just needs some friends but i don't know what do you all think.

mrsbean08

Asked by mrsbean08 at 12:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• Yeah that is really friendly...

If he's recently divorced then yeah, I would think he's probably pretty lonely. Or maybe he was such a huge jerk in his marriage that he's now trying to be the opposite of what he was.

Either way, keep appreciating his kindness but also keep your guard up until you know him better.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Sounds like too much to me. I would back off for a little while.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• The divorce may have something to do with it. I have a new neighbor who is the same way. He is just a really nice guy, and recently divorced.  He just started talking to me one day and now we talk every day.  He is outside a lot and comes over to talk if I go out.  He shows me stuff they are doing to the house and even donated left over building supplies to my church.  He's nice to my kids and DH too. At first I was a little weirded out by it, but I realized it was because Im just not used to having neighbors who go out of their way to talk to me.  I don't even know what the people who live across the street look like.  Just get to know him a little better.  My best friend in the world for 10 years started out as my neighbor.  She acted the same way.  Kinda freaked me out at first, but she is super cool. We stayed friends after we moved.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 1:26 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• you could always do a back ground check or just ask around to be sure he is not a creeper... also he may just be lonley and want attention... just be precautious
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 1:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• well he is a police officer for the county also so i am sure there is nothing on his background. I know he is lonely and he doesn't get to see his daughters much and his divorce just happend in January. That is all i think it is, is that he is lonely but on the other hand he just seems to be too open and giving. He has told me he is on medication for depression, and he offered to watch my son and offered to let me drive his car the day after he met me? He is going way out of his way to try and help me get my license and ged. And has brought me this glass frog.. (i love frogs lol) He said he had it from the divorce so he didn't want it and brought it over yesterday.. Im just very confused.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I wouldn't let him babysit. I don't trust men with little children.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like he's a nice guy. If you're weirded out by him, trust your instincts, but if you just think someone else might think something dastardly, you're probably watching too much CSI.

Btw, Anonymous 10:55: women do more than 25% of the sexual assaults on children, so it's hard to credit 'men' being the only problem.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• His med might be making him extra happy. If he just started them after the divorce he is probably still adjusting to them. Plus, if he is depressed, and it's a new thing for him, he may just be trying to snap out of it. And sometimes doing nice things for other people makes you feel better. I wouldn't let him babysit though. It's way too soon. BTW, not all counties do background checks. If they do they are basic. There was recently a case here where a cop got charged with sexual assault on a teen girl. His employment check was clean. They didn't bother to do a check of where he lived before he moved here, where he had a record.  If he is new to the area or hasn't been a cop for long (and it makes you feel safer) I would do a check.  BUT realize that he will probably find out about it if you choose to do one through the county.  Here you get them at the court house.  Try online first.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2010