We got a two day notice on our door only 1 day ahead of time??

Apartment MGR left a 2-day notice on our door yesterday the 8th, saying they were giving us a two day notice to enter on 4/9 between 9am and 5pm (thats only one day!) and it said for inspection or any other legal reason. No specific reason was listed. Then at the bottom it said "This is an attempt to collect a debt" with an attorneys info on it. We gave our 60-day notice and are set to move out on May 9th. We are %100 up to date on rent, have never even been late or short! The law says that they CANNOT do any sort of move-out inspection without us present, so I have no idea what they are doing. What do you think??? My SO and I are not home today to see what they are doing and I cannot get them to return my calls. What should I do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I would call the police and report it.
    Anonymous

• For sure call the police
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 12:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• sounds like a fraud or something i would deffinetly call the police and report it and ask a few questions about your rights and stuff...best of luck
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 1:29 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I do believe that owners of property are allowed access to it anytime they want for any reason they want, as long as they serve sufficient notice to the tenants. Since they own it, and all... it is their responsibility (to their insurance company and mortgage holder) to ensure that the building is safe and stable. They may be interested in deciding if it needs a paint job before they rent it again, or to measure for some renovations.

Since you have no idea why they want to see the property, you could maybe back down the hyperactive paranoia that suggests they're trying to screw you and see it from their side? Or a slightly less paranoid side... unless you have something to hide?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:55 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• They did NOT serve sufficient notice.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 4:17 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• @LindaClement,

Just because they're worried doesn't mean they have something to hide... I'd be wary as well if I didn't know why they wanted to come in. Doesn't mean that I'm doing anything wrong! In this day and age, who isn't trying to screw somebody else... it gets old.

I'd say call the police station and ask them about it, tell them they're not returning your phone calls or giving you sufficient reasoning as to why they want to enter... if it's not a big deal to them, they should return your phone calls.
    Stephie999

Answer by Stephie999 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 10, 2010