Ok, this came up in another question. Childcare assistance? I was unaware there was such a thing. People can get help with this?

This actually kept me from working when my kids were little. I did not know this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• you can get it through social services. You apply for it the same way you do for foodstamps & medicaid
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• in IL its called action for children (they help pay your daycare costs & you pay a copay)
    www.actionforchildren.org/
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Its for lower income parents who work and need help with childcare costs
    Anonymous

• Yeah, here it is called the 4 C's....I don't know what it stands for, but yeah, they take into account your income, number of people in your home, ect and depending on if you qualify after they figure it out, they come up with a number to help you out. Our copay used to be $10/month. It was a great way to help pay for daycare.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 1:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Here you can get it through DSS, but a lot of places have cut back or cut it out due to budget issues. Depending on the situation, it can pay for all or a portion of fees, but not all daycares accept it. Kinda like not all doctors accept medicaid. Here they call it 'daycare vouchers'. There are also free programs here, but they have a waiting list. Like head start and more at 4 and some church programs. Pre-k is free here too, but you don't get to pick where your kid goes. My 4 year old got put in a school on the other side of town. But it's free so why argue.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Talk to your human services department where you go for any other kind of assistance. It is income qualified. In my state your family can make 40,000 and you qualify. Depending on the number of household members and your annual income determines the amount of assistance you can receive. There is a co-pay that the parent can be responsible for depending on your income and number of dependents. They will pay for your childcare hours. I've had families who are full time (45 plus hours a week in some cases) and their copay was $200 a month. The parent paid me their copay and the county paid me the rest. I think each state is different, but its a good program for those who need it. You have to attend a licensed childcare program, like home or center based. Some preschools also qualify as childcare and they can get assistance.
    Anonymous

• I think you can also call your local welfare office about information cause I know in my state it is income based (currently if me and hubby work together we make to much but we have the income to get it with me not working if that makes sense to you) I like being a SAHM better anyways I feel more secure knowing whos taking care of my children
    njstewart07

Answer by njstewart07 at 1:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Just so you know, a licensed daycare can not refuse to do childcare for you just because you are on assistance. Its against the law. If it happens to you, contact your DHS.
    Anonymous

• Maybe it depends on your state? I used to babysit for a child who's mother switched to free care from the state. The care he recieved was awful though and she could only choose from a list of places. She took him out because he came home with bruises on both arms and was eating crappy food like chips every day. Just be careful and if they give you a list, research them all very well.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• yes, any child care program can choose not to accept state child care assistance payments, it is a private business that can accept or deny any payment they wish. I work for the 4c in Michigan, I work with providers daily, both those that do and do not accept state payment
    Anonymous