When did you start potty training and when did you switch your little one to a big kids bed?

My little girl is almost 17 months I'm just thinking ahead but wanted to know when you potty trained and moved your kid to a big kids bed and if you have any tips of it. I think we need to get her to a big girls bed before potty training so she can get out and go at night if its needed just want to know! thanks

LaitonLysette

Asked by LaitonLysette at 1:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My twins started potty training at about 2 1/2. I knew they were ready because they were telling me that they had to pee lol. My youngest is 2 1/2 now, and is scared to death of the potty, so I am waiting another month or two so I don't scare her even more. As for moving them to big kid beds...the twins moved to toddler beds at 22 months, twin size beds at 2 1/2. My youngest moved to a toddler bed at 19 months, and a twin size bed just two weeks ago.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 1:23 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• my son is 16 months and we have introduced the potty but not started on it yet we want him to get used to it first and the doctor said boys are a little behind the potty training then girls... however he does sleep in a toddler bed... he started walking at about 8-9 months and then learned real quick how to climb so we switched so he didnt hurt himself by falling out of the crib... he likes it and does well... good luck
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 1:25 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My eldest wanted to wear panties when she was 27mo, and the deal was 'three days dry' (dunno where I came up with that random number)... she never had an accident, day or night.

My youngest had absolutely no interest until about 5 months after her third birthday, and the only accident she ever had was when she had a bladder infection.

My eldest had a big bed (big, huge --twin on a box spring and frame) at 2, and my youngest (the climber) was in a toddler bed at 13mo. She got her first 'big' bed when we had loft beds custom made for both of them, when she was about three and a half.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:34 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Bed - 18 months
    Potty Training - Age 2
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My 16 month old started potty training last month. I know that may sound a bit early, but she was already giving us "the signs". For instance, she began taking off her diaper whenever it was wet.

As for the bed, we plan to get her one soon. She is quite tall, and has already managed to get one leg up over the side of her crib (even though the mattress is at its lowest setting). We will, of course, have short rails on the side to keep her from rolling out. I know she will probably figure out rather quickly that she can get out of the bed on her own, an I am kind of dreading those first few semi-sleepless nights. However, I would rather that than have her fall from the top of a crib railing once she gets that other leg over it.
    KarmicChild

Answer by KarmicChild at 4:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Potty training was started at 18 mos but she took a break from 21-24 mos and now she's doing great. We put her in a toddler bed at 13 mos and she STILL loves it!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My girls both potty trained long before they got a big bed. They both trained around 18 months, give-or-take. My almost-3 year-old is in a big bed now (she moved at 2.5), but before that she was in a pull-up. I intended to come get her and take her to the potty if she woke up, but she never did. She still doesn't. My little one, now 19 months, sleeps in underwear in her crib. On the rare occasion that she wakes up needing to go in the night I hear this little voice, "mommy, poo poo" and I come and take her to the potty. But then again, my girls also trained too young to do the whole thing by themselves, anyway, so I had to be there to help them on the potty and wipe them whether they could get out of bed or not.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:44 PM on Apr. 9, 2010