Do you think fairy tales create unrealistic expectations for adult relationships?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes, I'm still waiting for prince charming to put the glass slipper on my foot so we can ride off into the sunset. I was disappointed when I learned I'd have to work for a living, do all the housework, take care of the kids, the finances, and try to finish school all at the same time. OH well.
    Anonymous

• Only if it's the only example you have of an adult relationship, when I was a kid I loved fairytales, but I also saw how my parents, grandparents, etc. were in relationships, I followed their examples.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 1:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Yes I do

Answer by admckenzie at 1:55 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• i think its crazy lol i mean like cinderella and the little mermaid were married off when there like what 15? lol maybe fairytales contribute to teen pregnancy hahaha
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Yes unless you are witness to a happy loving relationship. It's not just disney, it is also all the romantic movies and love stories.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Probably not. Or at least not on a large level. When I was younger I wanted to believe all that stuff. But I saw my parents, grandparents, and family friends relationships so the lovely illusion didn't last long. I can't imagine anyone who has been outside their house or who has family and friends thinking that stuff is actually how relationships should be.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:38 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Yes...thinking back...as a kid, I believed in the fairy tale romance...I truly thought that I would grow up, meet the man of my dreams and live happily ever after...well...that didn't happen! And yes it had an affect on me until I realized that I wasn't Cinderella and Prince Charming was not coming to save me...I woke up and begin to believe in what I knew best...to follow my heart and not fairy tales...LOL
    treasured_hope

Answer by treasured_hope at 4:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I never believed them so no I read more realistic books my mom insisted that I not read them because she knew they were full of crap.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• No way. They're fun stories.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• No.. Cartoons are cartoons- we grow out of them. I know if I dont know where to go, I cant just ask a map (i have to figure it out myself) and getting somewhere will take more than visiting 3 fun places. LOL.. (*If its not obvious, im talking about dora).

I think we learn most from the grown ups around us. Look to your parents, grandparents, aunts, friends parents, ect....
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:55 AM on Apr. 10, 2010