Why does my dog pee when he meets someone for the first time?

I have a two year-old nuetered boxer. He is house trained and doesn't have accidents. When he meets a person for the first time, he pees. Someone told me that is submission. I thought maybe he did cuz he was excited. He's peed on several people's shoes when he meets them for the first time. I don't know it's wierd. What do you think?

lowencope

Asked by lowencope at 1:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Pets

• My birthmothers dog did that. She would get so excited to see new people. So when ever anyone came over we would have to make sure the dog was outside before we petted her.
    Anonymous

• This is called submissive urination. It is very common. Most dogs do grow out of it but you can help by asking people to ignore him when they see him. This will help because sometimes the excitement will cause them to pee.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My dog did it for years when she met new people, she eventually grew out of it but every now and then she does do it still.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 7:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I am a Reg Vet Tech and its submission Urination. Its very common. The only way to stop it is that the people walking through the door needs to ignore him for about 5 mins. Sometimes they grow out of it but most of the time the don't
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 6:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2010