If you choose not to vaccinate...

...would you also choose not to get your baby daughter's ears pierced? I know that they aren't really related, just both have to do with poking the child, lol. For some reason I put them in the same catagory...not sure why really...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OP here - I guess I see the two being slightly related in the sense that you can't take either back, you are sticking a foreign something into your child, and there is a risk of infection/reaction with both. I do realize that vaccines are far different from ear piercing :) Of course, the same could be said about getting a son circumcised (probably a far better analogy!).

I see your point, but when people are concerned about the risks of vaccines, it's more about the risk of dying, etc. An ear piercing theoretically could grow back over, and with proper cleanliness, the risk of ear piercing is quite minimal, and infections are treatable..
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I vaccinate selectively on a delayed schedule. I will not get my daughter's ears pierced until she is old enough to tell me she wants them done. My 8 year old has decided that for now she does not want hers pierced - good thing I didn't get them done when she was a baby!

Answer by missanc at 2:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I do not vaccinate, but did get my daughter's ears pierced. They are not related. One injects you with toxins one simply puts holes in your ears.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Why would you not vaccinate you child?? To be honest thats a horrible idea. vaccines are to PREVENT not to cause problems like most people think. All I know if my child catches anything from another child due to parents deciding not to vaccinate OH there will be issues more than what you ever dreamed of.
    Anonymous

• Anon, I don't vaccinate ANY MORE due to the fact my son had a reaction to his vaccine and developed pneumonia a week after getting his. Get yourself educated on vaccines, how they affect the immune system and what the cells actually do in the body. If, after that education you feel the need to blather on, do so. Until then though you will simply be ignored.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:15 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• "Why would you not vaccinate you child?? To be honest thats a horrible idea. vaccines are to PREVENT not to cause problems like most people think. All I know if my child catches anything from another child due to parents deciding not to vaccinate OH there will be issues more than what you ever dreamed of. "

Ummm....this was a question about ear piercing, not on whether vaccinating is the right decision or the wrong one!!!
    Anonymous

• Sorry for the hijack OP. :)
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• We don't pierce our baby's ears, and we delay vaccines for quite a while. But I don't consider them the same at all. Vaccines are a medicine, and you have to decide if it's right for your family. Ear piercing is a cosmetic alteration, and I choose not to do that for my children.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Even though I don't vaccinate my babies, if my baby needed an iv fluid or something, I'd take it, even though it's a poke. :)
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I vaccinate but will not pierce my baby's ears. As her parents, we make the choice to vaccinate for her health and well-being. Ear piercing is cosmetic body modification. Until she is responsible enough to take care of the piercing herself, I will not be putting holes in her body.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 2:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2010