Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

21 month old daughter stung by a wasp

I called the Ped, and they said to make a paste with meat tenderizer/water, put it on the sting and give her infant tylenol. I did both, but I'm slightly allergic to stings (haven't been stung in years, but as a kid I would swell A LOT) I'm scared. Her hand is very swollen, but she seems to be otherwise fine. I guess the meat tenderizer worked and neutralized the pain. Has anyone went through this before? We have a serious wasp problem this year. I don't know where they are all coming from, but I'm afraid to open my windows now. Oh and I killed the bastard that stung her. Any advice, tips or things to look out for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Moms.


Asked by BridgetC140 at 2:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 29 (37,888 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • tooth paste with floride always works to stop the stinging . we got some chickans a nd a roster and that got rid of our bee problem. but if u live in the city,they have bee traps that might work.

    Answer by angelairelan at 12:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

  • Oh God .. My DD is 21 months and I can't even imagine. I'm not a doctor but I'd ask yours about benedryl for the swelling.

    Answer by Farrahann at 2:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

  • I found this site with a bunch of different ways to attract and kill the wasps.


    Answer by kittyhasclaws at 2:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

  • Gosh kittyhasclaws, thanks for the website, but the nest I believe is inside the wall of my deck. It is hollow on the inside so we can't get to the nest. At least, I believe it is there, because we have seen a few crawl into there. Apparently my neighbor had a nest in his shed also. Is it absolutely necessary to remove the nest?

    Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

  • Another thing that works is benedryl cream. My oldest, who is now 12, gets stung and swells every summer. Sometimes more than once each summer. We do the meat tenderizer paste and benedryl cream.

    Answer by balagan_imma at 2:33 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

  • Yeah, been there before. My daughter was maybe 13 mo when she was stung. her little fingers swelled so bad. But after about 2 days it was a forgotten thing of the past. Just lots of love and keep an eye on her is about all you can do.

    Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:55 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

  • Bridget, if they can crawl out of there, they can crawl out to smell the sugar water/syrup mix or the beef liver.

    Answer by kittyhasclaws at 3:06 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

  • In order for her to have a true allergic reaction she has to have been stung before. So you don't have to be worried about that. This time she may form large amounts of IgE wasp antibody. Then if she is exposed again the antibody will attack the wasp allergen from the sting and she would have a reaction. If she isn't allergic, no allergic reaction would happen.

    Sorry about your little girl. I hate wasps, too.


    Answer by Gailll at 4:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

  • My son was stung at about the same age. We were told to give him Benedryl. We were also warned that kids tend to swell a lot particularly on arms/legs even if they aren't allergic.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2010