do you really need a microwave?

so, my cat just broke my microwave. he was on the counter(a habit i HATE) and he was refusing to get down and when i grabbed him to get down he resisted and the mc fell off the counter and onto the floor thus breaking it, BUT im thinking..do i even need a microwave? i can heat up pizza rolls and the little pot pies in the oven, heat veggies and spagetti os on the stove..so do ou think a microwave is necessary? sure it cooks faster but i mean as in something you HAVE to have, like a refrigrater or stove.

mywonderyears

Asked by mywonderyears at 2:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Microwave ovens didn't hit the market until I was in my 20's. Before then we had to use the stove or a toaster oven to heat food up.
    As for your cat getting on the counter top - get a spray bottle and fill it with water. Anytime the cat gets on the counter squirt him - it won't hurt him and he won't like it - eventually he will begin to associate getting on the counter and getting wet. It might also save the rest of your appliances.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 4:51 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I use mine quite a bit. I could not live with out mine. I use it alot to heat up water, hot chocolate, pop corn, use it alot to melt things like butter and chocolate chips. It all depends on how much you use yours.
    Anonymous

• I microwave my dish sponge for 2 min. after every use and my DH uses it every morning to reheat his coffee 100 times. I always make pasta for lots of left overs and 45 seconds in the microwave its just easier than getting pans dirty. So for me and everyone else, no, nobody NEEDS a microwave but I do enjoy the convenience.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:28 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• no you don't. when i was in college my microwave sort of exploded....no there wasn't any metal in it....just old. ha ha.

so for awhile we just heated up left overs and sandwiches and whatever we needed in the oven. you just sort of estimate the time and temp and figure out what works for you!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• You are right. Not necessary. Just quicker and I think it is cheaper on electricity.

Answer by louise2 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• No its not necessary at all. Everythng you do in a microwave can be done in the oven or on stovetop with more patience.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:34 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I could easily live without mine.
    Anonymous

• It all depends on what you use it for. Yeah, you can heat/ cook things on the stove or in the oven, if you have the time. For me, I can't live with out my microwave. I have three kids one of them being a 5 month old that is breastfed (won't take a bottle). Sometimes I have just enough time to throw something in the microwave warm it for 30 seconds and eat it before one of the kids needs something. I also live in the south and it's nice to use it instead of the stove/oven during the summer months when it's over 100 outside.

And with the microwave our almost 9 year old can "cook" things himself. He LOVES doing scrambled eggs in the microwave :)
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 3:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I use mine all the time to heat things up. I would really hate to have to heat up the oven just to rewarm food or something. For me it would be worth it to buy a new one.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 4:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I dont have a microwave so I say no you dont NEED it. Sometimes it would be more convenient to have one for reheating, but this way I am more conscious of the amounts of food I cook so we dont have leftovers.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:39 PM on Apr. 9, 2010