How do I get my dog to walk nicely on the leash?

The only time he listens is when I have the pinch collar on him, he won't even pull once it's on. But if I put the choker on him he will pull and he is only 5 months old and already 50 pounds... He's a big boy, and I can't control him without the pincher. I don't know how to make him behave well without that darn thing.. Any advice?

ali_1107

Asked by ali_1107 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Pets

• Here is a link to a site that might be able to help you:

http://www.loveyourdog.com/heel.html
    CrazyKiss

Answer by CrazyKiss at 3:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Buy a HALTI. They sell them at Petsmart. It's the best thing I ever bought my Weimaraner.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 3:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Try holding the leash straight up so that it pulls up and won't hurt his throat. When he starts pulling you, simply tug up on the leash(not too hard, of course) and stop walking. When he stops, start walking. He will learn that pulling won't get him anywhere and that you're the one in charge, not him. Letting him pull you is not only rewarding him for the behavior, but it's showing him that he's walking you. It takes a little bit for them to catch on, but it will. Training him to walk on one side is good too. That just gives you that much more control. There should not be any tension on the leash, he should be walking with you. Holding the leash with two hands is good too. A short length between the two of you will make it easier for you to train him. Good luck and I hope these tips help! (I've watched a lot of Dog Whisperer and have personally trained a few dogs. This has worked every time)
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 3:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I would suggest you find a trainer...they can train you to train your dog...If you aren't doing the actions correctly the dog won't catch on...
    Anonymous

• We had the same problem with our dog. He has trained up nicely. We did it by having a VERY short leash and stopping frequently. As soon as he pulled, we stopped and would not move. When he stopped pulling, we would go again. It takes a lot of patience, but he eventually got the idea. He is three years old now and great to take on walks.
    I wish you the best of luck.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 3:23 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• You have to teach him to walk behind you, you are the leader.

When he gets out in front of you, turn around and start walking the other way. Silently. He'll switch directions and try to pull out in front again. Turn again.

You could be turning back and forth for a while. But smart dogs figure this out pretty fast. He has to walk behind or you two just go back and forth in the front yard. Works great for obstinate puppies.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:27 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Haltis are heaven but they don't fix the problem only cover it up. i use one on my dogs and love them but it doesn't train them to walk nice on only a leash.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 6:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Outfit your dog with a check chain, or a pincher collar if necessary. (Mine needed one too.) Use a 6' leash and hold onto the loop at the end. Allow your dog to bound ahead of you.

The minute your dog's shoulder passes your leg, pivot sharply to walk in the other direction. Do not pull unnecessarily on the leash--the dog's natural momentum will be enough for a sharp tug! Repeat this exercise as needed: whenever the dog starts to pass you, turn in the other direction. Continue to maintain this exercise during walks in any and every environment.

This is how I taught my dog to heel nicely on a leash, and after three days of this she has never pulled.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 11:16 PM on Apr. 11, 2010

• I really could have used this help when Ace was training lol. You have to be patient and persistent with dogs. Take the advice of these ladies. Just don't give up. If you keep at it, eventually they will get the hint. Good luck.

Punky_1981

Answer by Punky_1981 at 2:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2010