What if? Representation without Taxation?

If taxation without representation was an outrage that sparked the Revolution, why is representation without taxation acceptable?

What if only those who pay income taxes were allowed to vote?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Here's the thing -- I do pay income tax. But the tax laws & codes are so messed up, that the government gives me back my taxes that I paid in. However, they do keep what I pay for SS, for Medicare, to the state, and to my city. I would recommend a flat tax or a fair tax. Then everyone pays, regardless of their income.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Mike Huckabee has an idea - the fair tax. Toss out all taxes, the entire code and all of the different taxes we pay on all the different items and pay one tax rate. At first, it makes you withdraw in fear, but then, you think - no sales tax, no traditional income tax, no gas tax, no service tax, no capital gains tax, no tax on your phone, no tax on your electricity, no tax on Snickers but not Twix, and no taxes I can't even think of or imagine. We will pay less for all of that stuff and in turn pay one flat tax. All people have to pay the same amount. So, if you make $30,000, you pay $3,000, if you make $300,000, you pay $30,000, and if you make $15,000, you pay $1,500. It is all fair and you have the money from not piddling it away on taxes everywhere you turn.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• As much as that makes sense, I don't think it will be done anytime soon. Just think of all the newly unemployed IRS agents we would have! And, there would be no more loopholes for the a$$hats in Congress to hide their income in.

But I love the idea, and wish that it could be implemented, SOON!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:33 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I would hate for any IRS agents to be unemployed!!! HA!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I know, jesse! That would be terrible, lol!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2010