How can I get my daughter, age 5, to wipe herself after she uses the toilet?

My daughter wipes after she poops but when she pees she doesn't wipe, unless I'm standing over her or if I'm in the kitchen (next to the bathroom) I'll yell "Did you wipe?" and she'll do it but I can't be there every time she goes pee and I'm not there with her at school to make sure she does it either. It's beginning to concern me because for one, it makes her panties smell like urine, for two her skin becomes irritated and she'll start scratching at herself making the irritation worse. She's also begun to lie about wiping when I ask after she comes out of the bathroom - but I always know when I go to wash her panties - because she has a 4 year old sister who always wipes and also has had maybe 3 'accidents' in the 2 years that she's been potty trained so I think my 5 year old is embarrassed to admit to not remembering something that her little sister has no problem with.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Just keep on her constantly, she will get it.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:26 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Yep, you need to keep on her until she catches on.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Same here with my 4 year old I have been telling her forever to wipe wipe wipe she never does it.
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I'm having that issue with the pooping with my 4 1/2 year old DD. She wipes when she pees, and we've been encouraging her to do so when she poops too, but I can't seem to get her to understand that if the paper is still dirty, she needs to continue wiping until it's clean.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• We're like Krysta, my dd5 wipes every time she pees no problem, but insists I still wipe her when she poops. Sigh. For your situation, what about getting her those special kadoo flushable wipes in the fun container to entice her?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• We absolutely, under no circumstances, are allowed to flush even "flushable" wipes. I can't even flush my tampons (GROSS). She'll be starting kindergarten in the fall and hope she gets the hang of it by then.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2010