I am not being snarky, this is just an honest question

I have been thinking about this and came up with this question. But I will explain first. To those of you who believe ONLY in what science has proven or believe what you ONLY see, I wonder if at the time the world was believed to be flat, would you have believed it to be flat as well? Why or Why not? Could there be things that you believe in that are false? And how would it make you feel, if one day it was proven not to be false? I am NOT talking about or referring to God. Just in stuff in general.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that for those of us who trust in science, we are well aware that science has yet to discover or explain everything. BTW there was never a time when science proved that the world was flat. People assumed it was because they didn't yet know it wasn't. There's tons of stuff left to discover, which is one of the things that's so exciting about science and research.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:37 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Doubtful as I would not have been able to see the whole world from one location. Not to mention if one looks at the horizon you can see a slight curve where sky and land meet. That should be evidence enough that the earth was never flat but only the small portion which I resided.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Actually, as Bill Nye The Science Guy demonstrated, it's possible to 'prove' the curvature of the earth within the continental US... in three days.

The curvature of the earth that is visible from the ground is an optical illusion --if the world were that curved, it would be less than 1% of the size around that it is.

The difference between science and faith is that science expects, welcomes, encourages and insists upon dissent, confirmation, a different perspective, contrary evidence, repetition of results, proof and correlation. Faith just requires faith and is deeply disturbed by any indication of dissent, different perspective, contrary evidence or any suggestion that it would be aided by proof.

That's how you can tell Al Gore's version of Environmentalism is a religion, not science. No real scientist has any faith at all in 'consensus.'
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I understand that science never proved that the earth was flat, but it was a belief that was held at that time. In that time having NO evidence what the shape of the world was and no proof of it being what it was, would you have believed it?
    Anonymous

• Answered at 1:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 by: Anonymous
    I understand that science never proved that the earth was flat, but it was a belief that was held at that time. In that time having NO evidence what the shape of the world was and no proof of it being what it was, would you have believed it?

No, because there's no evidence that the Earth is flat except for popular belief. Believing something just because a lot of people believe it is the total opposite of believing only in things that you can prove.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I'm going to quote Tim Minchin on this one, because I think he says it best.

"Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial observation so that belief may be preserved."

If you show me that something I believe to be true is false, and you can back it up with evidence (real evidence, not just anecdotal) than I am more than willing to admit my mistake.

my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 4:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Being an atheist I would go, "Okay. Glad we found that out." and adjust my beliefs accordingly. As long as you have an open mind, this would be nothing more than a minor inconvenience.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 4:33 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• "Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial observation so that belief may be preserved."

I like this quote.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:39 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Science welcomes more evidence as to come to a better conclusion. They definitely don't run away from it all the while shouting "my way is the only way" Science says the more the merrier.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Actually, it was only the very uneducated which ever believed the world was flat. There is proof that even ancient Celtic, Egyptian and other Mesopotamian civilizations all understood that the earth (as well as the sun, moon and other planets) was round. So chances are if they had lived in a city or town or even close to one - they wouldn't have believed the world was flat.

On the other hand while the notion of a flat earth seems crazy to us today, many of the beliefs and traditions we see as normal will be seen as crazy to people in a thousand or two thousand years... It's simply progress... Not only in science, but also in religion. How many people today see the practices or beliefs of ancient cultures as outdated or even ridiculous. So really your question could be posted to people on either side of the coin.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2010