If you choose not to cirmcumcise...

....do you pierce your baby daughter's ears? I wrote a question about this and vaccinating but this is far better although I didn't think of it until one mom said that she didn't because she was going to let her daughter decide. That got me thinking and I think this is a FAR better question!! I circumcise my boys but I don't know if I would pierce my daughter's ears. I guess I'll find out if I ever have one!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Many opinions on this :)
    - Once a male is cut - cant undo it. He will never have the foreskin back (without major surgery). A girl just takes the earrings out. U barely notice the tiny holes.
    -A baby girl gets her ears pierced young & mommy can dr. them to good health quickly, my dd was not bothered by it AT ALL! A girl getting her ears done usually play/mess with them alot & dont clean them properly & infection is more common in older girls.. (my nieces said my 6mo DD was lucky. They had to wait till they where 13. They said they wished they could have had it done as a baby- they where 15&16 when they said this.
    - I dont want a boy partly because of circumcision. I dont want to deal with the choice, or healing. Im against cutting the penis, but I know we would circm. our son, Since DH has the manly parts, I think its more his area to decide & he would be FOR cutting.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:23 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• We decided to allow our children (including our daughters) to decide for themselves when --and if-- they would mutilate or surgically alter their genitals.

Actually... they got their ears pierced on the same basis. And then they both got tattoos, and a few other piercings... when they were old enough to sign the permission forms themselves.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Not the same thing at all i my book. I've seen far more girls with unpierced ears than I have uncirc'd boys.
    Anonymous

• piercing and ear lobe and snipping a foreskin are quite different things

Answer by older at 4:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• We don't do either, because we consider circumcision cosmetic. However, I have seen arguments that it is medical. So, I don't have any condemnation of circumcision. The facts on it are just a bit muddled, and enough muddled that there are good arguments both ways. If a mom circumcises because it looks better, I think she hasn't really reviewed the risks of circumcision. Moms who do it for medical reasons have at least weighed risks vs benefits.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My daughters have pierced ears but only recently ( they are pre teens ) , when they decided they would like to wear earrings . I don't see the point of it for babies and toddlers. I am pro-circumcision but as has already been pointed out , the two procedures are quite different and done for different reasons.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I'm not a fan of either.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 5:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Nope. Intact 2 1/2 yr old DS, and 4 1/2 year old DD who had her ears pierced JUST before her 4th birthday, because she'd been asking for about a year, and understood what it entailed. Took her to a PIERCER, one that uses a needle, not some place that uses a gun. But, no, I did NOT agree to having her ears pierced as an infant.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I could never get my baby girl's ears pierced. I just don't see the point in inflicting pain on her to stick somethin' sparkly on her head. She can get them done when she asks. I will not circumcise any son that I may have.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 6:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• no. My son is intact and my DD has the choice to have her ears pierced when she is older. I'll pay for it. If my son wants to get circed when he is 18 I will pay for it.
    My SIL pierced her DD's ears at 11 months and while it looks cute I wouldn't do it to my child.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 6:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2010