Would you drop your 17 year old son off at a park or mall to meet a girl that he met while playing xbox live?

My son met a girl while playing xbox live? His couson goes to school with the girl, she is also 17 and lives about 20 minutes away. My son asked me to drop him off at the mall to meet the girl, which I did and I didn't feel right about it. Also a couple of times this week he asked me to drop him off at a park about 25 minutes away to meet the girl. He says the girl comes with her sister, which makes me feel better. For some reason I don't feel right about it.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 4:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• i think it would be okay as long as you met the girl (even if only briefly) so at least you know she's a real teenage girl and not some pervy old man

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 4:23 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• As long as someone knows her. I worry about teens meeting strangers and her bf beats him up or robs him.
    Anonymous

• It sounds fairly innocent, but if your gut is telling you something, ask alot of questions. My gut has a way of being right!
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I would want to meet her immediately just to make yourself feel more at ease about the situation and to make sure he is not doing something you dont want him to do. No biggie, just to say hi and bye, ya know ;)

It would make me feel better that someone else knew her....especially a relative...

I would also ask a lot of questions about her and tell him to invite her for dinner one night or something.

But I would also listen to your instincts....sometimes moms can know things other people can not, Gods gift to moms ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I don't agree with walking in the mall with him and meeting the girl first, that would humiliate him and he is almost adult. Just make sure he has his phone with him and stay local incase he needs you.
    prettybaby1

Answer by prettybaby1 at 5:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• no. i went with my kid when we had a simaliar situation. i waited in a nearby seat at a local eatery where i could see my kid at all times. at the end of the meet i was introduced. my kid had only two choices. i go with you or you go not at all. just me.
    RoseWall

Answer by RoseWall at 6:40 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I wouldn't walk up to meet her, maybe just wait and peek to make sure it's not really some pervy old man. But there's no need to actually go up and talk to the girl, your son is 17!
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 7:35 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Mall yes..park NO
    Anonymous

• NO! I would not. I have a 17 yr old ds, and my dd will be 16 this month. They are not allowed to meet in person with anyone they meet on the computer (including xbox) that they don't know in person.

Now, if the cousin knows the girl in person, and is willing to introduce them, them, then that's different.

But I wouldn't be driving that far for it, and I would be meeting her myself.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:18 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• By the way, there's a nice way to meet her and there's an out of line way of meeting her. There's nothing wrong with telling your ds that you want to meet her. So, while you will be dropping him off, you, too, will be at the mall, doing some shopping, and you expect to "run into him" with her at ___ store / snack stand, etc. He can introduce you then, "casually".

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:20 AM on Apr. 10, 2010