If you were hurt in any way would you still breastfeed?

Say you got in a really bad accident.Your put on drugs..im talkin bad in hospital for months..would you still breastfeed with the drugs in your system?What if you went in a coma? Would you be mad if your husband gave your baby formula?What would you do if something happened to you? Will your child drink formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Thank you ladies for your help and honest answers.I now have enough info for my friend and hope she makes the best choice.Although SHE doesn't think the drugs are gonna hurt the baby I was scared it would.(no she is not in a coma lol)She was in an accident and still feeding her child BUT with Morphine in her system.THIS is why i asked.THIS is what I wanted to know.Sorry you had to see all the drama.It just upsets me when people are RUDE for NO reason.
    Anonymous

• It make me think of that monty python skit with the knights.... "it's just a flesh wound, come back here!" Ahh you young mom's can catch it on youtube. :)

Anonymous

• Depends on how open minded you are. Personally I'd be okay if my child was put on formula. I would not breastfeed if I had potentially harmful drugs (to my baby) in my system. There are still wet nurses out there if you are open to that if you wanted to make sure your child got breastmilk. NO a wet nurse doesn't have to personally breast feed your baby. They can pump the milk and put it in a bottle. In those situations though you can't be a 100% sure if the wet nurse has anything in her system or not.
    CrazyKiss

Answer by CrazyKiss at 4:55 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• come on! lets get to the real question here. You dont wanna know what WE will do,you wanna say what YOU will do! now say it.
    Anonymous

• Nope I got really sick 2 months after DS was born and they gave me morphine every 3hrs because I was in so much pain. I had to wait 5 days till I was stable enough to have surgery. By the time I was off of every thing I was all dried up.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 5:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• That is what milk banks are for- and connecting with a donor personally. There were many times that I had to ship milk overnight to my sis when she was on meds after she had knee surgery (is in the ARMY, and she was injured in a training routine).... There is always an option outside of formula. You just have to look for it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Milk banks are expensive..if you have medical bills is it really an option?Pretty sure formula will be cheaper...
    Anonymous

• My girlfriend breastfed through cancer. When they first found she had cancer they wanted her to abort, but she wouldn't. It took her a while to find a doctor who would even treat her without an abortion. She finally found one. She had surgery and the baby lived. Then after surgery they wanted her to get chemo, they kept telling her she would die without it. But she refused. Then she had the baby and breastfed. When she had a procedure coming up she would pump and freeze. Then when it was safe again she would go back to breast feeding. Now three years later she is cancer free and baby is fine.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 5:23 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• OT-Bloobird, that is an inspiring story!

Thank you for sharing. When my ODS was 18 months old ( I was nursing still), I was pregnant and had a really bad miscarriage. The hospital pumped me full of drugs, some to quit bleeding because I was hemorrhaging, morphine and a bunch of other stuff. I had to cold turkey quit nursing. I wish I could have nursed until he was 2, but I guess 18 months is ok!

Had he been younger, I would have tried a milk bank, then tried again after the drugs were out of my system.

nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 5:45 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• If the drugs were harmful and I could not BF I wouldn't. I would first request drugs that did not interfer with BF. If I had no other option I'd look into milk banks and then formula. I would regret not being able to BF my baby for whatever reason.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 6:27 PM on Apr. 9, 2010