tattoos while breastfeeding

Is it safe to get tattoos while breastfeeding?

MyKyRa07

Asked by MyKyRa07 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sure. I have over 20 tattoos, and got a couple when I BF. Not while I was in the act of breast feeding, but during the breat feeding months. Never had a problem at all, with either of my kids.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 5:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• HaHa, I like that one nightphoenix!!!Not WHILE breastfeeding....And yes, she's right
    jblueeyes228

Answer by jblueeyes228 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Yes, if you can find someone to do it. Some artists won't touch you. If you cannot find one to do the work, consider this: A tattoo is forever and the worst that can happen with waiting is that you'll change your mind. If that happens, better for it to hapen before getting inked rather than after.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:23 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• And just FYI...if you could do a thing safely BEFORE you got pregnant, you generally can do it while breastfeeding. You have to work very hard to find an exception. The restrictions of pregnancy are gone.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I got mine done when I was 2 months pregnant with my youngest...NOW I did not know I was pregnant....shes fine...I hope??
    Anonymous

• I would wait til your done.tattoos can become infected,risk of hepatitis C,tetanus and HIV
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 5:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• And people bash formula feeding moms.pfffft
    Anonymous

• You can but if it gets infected you will need meds, the risk of hepatitis. I have been told to wait and if the tatto artist knows they will also not do it.
    Anonymous

• Also, getting a tattoo often makes your glands overactive. :-) Make sure you have extra padding in case of leakage!
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 7:06 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I had to lie and say I wasn't
    but I checked first
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/tattoos.html
    the guy that did mine has done all my friends and family, so I know he is good. and I watched him clean everything and opened seal needles and stuff. just make sure you do your research on the tattoo artist.
    .Mad.Hatter.

Answer by .Mad.Hatter. at 7:27 PM on Apr. 9, 2010