How are you helping your kids become physically fit and strong?

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 6:06 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We let our kids RUN and jump and be active kids inside our house. Weather isn't always conducive to playing outside, even in April in our part of the country. We limit TV time, we listen to music and dance together. We go for walks to the park. We do yoga together. We eat lots of organic food (as much as we can buy in our small town, that is), We're planting a garden this year. We read for at least 30 minutes every day. We eat b'fast, try to set a good example by exercising, we don't smoke, we talk about unhealthy behaviors we see in the world.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• How do you mean?? Taking them to the gym? Hiring a personal trainer?

Anonymous

• Yes. My girls love doing yoga with me and are actually very good at it and flexible.Also they love doing the wii fit plus and in nice weather they are always outside; jumping on the trampoline, rollerskating, biking, we all walk the dog.. Also I to feed them high quality whole foods. But hey they are still kids and they also are allowed candy, chips and capri suns in moderation, I'm not going to sit on here and pretend I'm perfect.

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 6:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• They're outside playing right now. We go on family bike rides, and they play outside whenever the weather is nice.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I feed them good and get them outside a lot riding bikes and walking.
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 6:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• yes my 5 year old daughter works out with me at home we have excersice tv channel on demand so we do some yoga, cardio and abs...she motivates me...
    nicoleNjeanna

Answer by nicoleNjeanna at 6:48 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• ladies thanks! At least I know that I have other moms out there doing basically the same thing. We also play outside and when indoors, I get them to do pylometrics exercises which increases your sports abilities by strengthening the muscles.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 7:41 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• milk, healthy foods, limited candies/junk

martial arts and PE class

running outside and playing at the park and long walks
    Anonymous

• I'm not worried about strong or being physically able to do sports better or as well as other children his age. I am more interested in the active and well being side. My hope is to raise a child who loves being outside, loves nature, loves having energy, and feels good about himself and has confidence. So at three he rides his bicycle (with training wheels), goes on walking trails with us, "hikes" in a local public garden/forest, and we get plenty of park time.  It is also about role modeling so my husband is training for a triathlon and makes sure he is also running outside and playing right next to my child.  I am signing him up for the YMCA soccer for three year olds because he asked to.  I think it is too early but he asked so we will give it a try.  I do no television.  And I truly mean none. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• We also go to the library, have play dates, and read a lot. It is a mind, body, spirit goal - not just to be stronger or better than other children. I don't dream about having scholarships for him one day. I just want him to enjoy life and have a healthy mind set about how he sees himself and his world.  I also have thought about how I clean and use organic products.  Organic foods as much as possible as well.  The total package. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2010