How does this rate in comparison to your scariest moment?

I feel like the worst mother in the world. My friend and I took our kids to the mall today (she has two: 4 yo and 2 yo and I have one: 20 months). We had them in this enclosed play area. I took my eyes off my son for one second to take a picture of my friend's daughter. He was out of the enclosed area and halfway across the food court before I even knew what happened. I couldn't find him in the play ground and I just started running around like crazy until someone spotted him and a woman who works at the food court caught a hold of him for me until I could get to him. I keep thinking about what if he had gotten scooped up? What if he had reached the escalators? (we were on the second floor). What if something awful that I can't even think of happened to him???

Am I the worst? I feel horrible, horrible, horrible. I am going to be up all night now...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Atleast nothing happened to him!!! Just be more careful next time.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 6:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• In all honestly it happens to the best of us. Although you feel terrible, you shouldnt continue to beat yourself up, just thank your lucky stars, and keep a closer eye. Especially at 20 months, i know exactly how that goes, my son is 19 months and be quite the handful when it comes to exploring.
    colbysmommie95

Answer by colbysmommie95 at 6:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• You are not a bad mother. I had my grandson. We were at Sears. I had to go to the bathroom and I mean "now". He was behind me one minute and I thought he was in the bathroom with me. He was not. When I came out I was frantic and couldn't find him. I finally had to get them to lock the doors and help me search for him. I was terrified. It turned out he was in the children's area watching their tv. He was just out of the view of the camera and they couldn't see him. He did the right thing. He was taught if he got lost just stay where he is and we'd find him. He just decided it would be easier to sit while he waited!
    Anonymous

• youre not a bad mother. it happens. just thank your lucky stars he is ok.
    Anonymous

• OMG I went dress shopping and my then 2 year old and 10 month old were in the double.I pushed the stroller and then saw a dress and looked at it.Stroller STILL in front of me.I looked down and my 2 year old was GONE! I was like"she was JUST here"i didnt want to start screaming her name because i didnt want to scare her thinking i was mad.So i started calling and looking under every rack.Then I started getting louder and louder and before i knew it other people were helping me.I called my friend who was in the mall and she looked around the mall.I back tracked.retraced and then found her.She was hungry and was trying to get into red robyn!Luckly some one recognized her from LUNCH and set out to find me.HORRIBLE 10 min of my life.I didnt even yell at her when i found her.I just sat on the floor crying and squeezing her.i told her she couldnt run off like that without me and she said sorry.BUT OMG! lol.Not a bad mama :)it happens
    Anonymous

• You are in no way a bad mother. Kids RUN! For most it is absolutely HILARIOUS to watch us chase them down. No matter how much we yell & scream for the most part(until thier older) they are unaware of just how scary it is for us when they are out of our sight. It happens to the best of us so let no one put you down. Truth is we as moms are our own worst critics.
    My oldest Ds took off after a ballon that was tied to another kids stroller. I stopped to tie my shoe and looked up to see my baby down at the other end of the mall chasing a ballon. It was so busy that no one noticed he was alone. They just kept walking around him. I yelled and I screamed but ppl only looked at me rather than look at what I was pointing to. When I caught up to him and snatched him up all he did was point to the ballon and say, "Green mommy".... I cried so hard that night.
    Your LO is safe and that is the important thing. Breathe mom, its okay.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 7:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• i let my 8 month old fall out of his high chair twice. i feel like shit about whenever i think about it.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:18 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• You are not the worst! You are not even a bad mother, but I know you must feel like it :( That has happened to me before too, and I am NOTORIOUS for being super "overprotective" and watchful of my daughter. They are SO fast and if something catches their eye and they run for it, they're gone in a flash! Don't beat yourself up honey, it happens even to the best mothers. I now keep my daughter's hand in mine, or in her umbrella stroller, at all times. She's 3 now, so I'm thinking about investing in a restraint backpack for my little girl. She can have the sense of having free range without actually having free range LOL.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 10:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• OMG you are not even close to the worst.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 12:03 AM on Apr. 10, 2010