Separating boys from girls in bathrooms, locker rooms, team sports, etc., is now considered discriminatory?!

More of what's wrong with society these days!

"The Maine Human Rights Commissions taking heat over a proposal to ban schools from enforcing gender divisions in sports teams, school organizations, bathrooms and locker rooms, saying forcing a student into a particular room or group because of their biological gender amounts to discrimination."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/08/maine-commission-moves-ban-gender-specific-school-bathrooms-teams/

What do you think?

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 7:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Holy cow how much more ridiculous can it get then that? Some folks are just crazy ass loons i'm telling ya
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:16 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• It's not discrimination so long as both facilities offer than same things: toilets, sinks, etc, etc, etc. Now, if only girl's bathrooms had sinks, there would be a problem with discriminating. If there are both girl's teams and boys teams for each sport, then it's not discrimination. However, if there is NOT a girl's soccer team, she should be allowed to join the boys' team without a problem. If there is not a boy's volleyball team, a boy should be allowed to join the girls' team. THAT is what is called fair.

The bathroom issue actually brings in issues with not gender discrimination, but modesty issues. Girls have enough problems with self-image without having to worry about a boy watching them pee, change or shower in the locker room.
    Anonymous

• I say, HELL, NO!

This country is going to implode with BS like this! This will never fly. Well, let me rephrase, I pray it doesn't fly.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:10 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Haha now I've heard it all! That's ridiculous!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:10 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I completely agree with the first answer... If the exact same things are offered for both boys and girls in terms of sports, locker rooms, etc. I don't see why they can't be separate. However, if a school only has one soccer team, for example, it WOULD be discriminatory to exclude kids because of their gender.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:23 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• wow, just wow.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 7:26 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I say that all of that is silly. Why would the girls want to share a locker room or bathroom with stinky boys. I wouldn't. I am glad there are separate places. As far as sports go, a girl should be able to play any sports she wants to. It is all up to the individual person's drive and fitness. Girls shouldn't be treated like they are handicapped. It isn't bad to have a girls team and a boys team though if that makes people feel more comfortable.

IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 7:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Ok so I mostly agree with Anon #1 up there.

Except there is a double standard there that I don't think we can or should get around.

IF a girl can prove in try-outs whatever that she is just as good as the boys; then I think she should be allowed to join the boys team; but only provided there isn't a girls team she could have joined.

Sadly conversely; I can think of no way for a boy to prove he's "only" as good as the rest of a girls team.

This isn't about feelings or emotion; it's about reality; fairness and sportsmanship. Whether we like it or not biologically boys are on average slightly larger with more muscle mass than girls of the same age. Are there exceptions on both sides; of course. But as I said it's much easier to prove the girl is as strong as the guys; than a boy is underdeveloped to be equal with the girls.

As for facilities; I thought it was already a law that those had to be provided for both?

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:18 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• "The issue came to light last year when the commission ruled that, under the Maine Human Rights Act, a school had discriminated against a 12-year-old transgender boy by denying him access to the girls' bathroom."

View Full Size Image Jesus, what's the world coming to.

Anonymous

• Amen anonymous so many are clearly so misguided
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2010