Please help...Thoughts of your baby getting hurt?

I have depression. I talked to my Dr. about it yesterday she did a survey on me & prescribed an antidepressant. One of the questions she asked was- Have you ever had thougts of harming your baby. I said no to her when shed asked me that...I lied because I was scared that she would report me to the police or social services. I do get thoughts of me dropping my baby or letting my baby drown in the bath tub. I would never do these things because I love her. The thought of these things running through my head makes me cry at times. Will my Dr. report me to an athority that will take my kids away for having these thoughts in my head? I've never hurt my kids. I did email her today about this today & I even called a support group. Could someone please tell me if they think my kids would get taken away from me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not if you are getting help.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:39 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• If you are getting help you will not be reported. She needs to know these things to make sure you ar gettign the level of help that you need.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• no they jsut need to know to help decide the degree of medication you need,,,but thoughts of your child falling and being dropped are not thoughts of harming your baby they are simply fears...I had the biggest fear of dropping my baby down the stairs and well one day it happened she FELL out of the car seat...I had no control over it and I was hysterical and no one even questioned it they knew I would never do something like that to my daughter on purpose... You need to clarify exactly what thoughts you are having with your dr though if you already sent her an email telling her you had some thoughts...let her know exactly what you are thinking and feeling because thoughts of harming your baby are more like holding them under water or beating them with something...intentional harm
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 7:48 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I'm sorry you are so depressed. It's so hard.

Could you hire someone to help out. It could even be a teen or preteen. Someone to come over a few hours in the afternoon and help clean-up the house, get dinner going, play with the older kids, let you nurse the baby if your are nursing. It can be a huge help.

Even better is if you can get someone to come from 1-4 or 5. She can make you a light lunch when she gets there and make dinner. All you have to do is eat cereal in the morning.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:19 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Thoughts are one thing, intentions are another. A medical profession can only report you if you are harming yourself or others OR plan on hurting yourself or others. I'd be lying if I said I've never had thoughts like yours. Not because I wanted too, it was something that crossed my mind, suffering from depression myself. You are doing the right thing by talking to somebody & taking medicine. Don't be afraid to open up & tell them anything. If you don't tell them the extent of how you are feeling, you won't get the proper treatment. I can tell you love your daughter and taking the steps to get help shows you are a good mom! Good luck=]
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 9, 2010